Lee wants to bowl despite broken footMarch 1st, 2012 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, March 1 (IANS) Australian fast bowler Brett Lee wants to continue playing ODIs despite a sore right foot which scans have revealed is still broken.
The 35-year-old admitted that the foot still hurts. He also admitted making a quick comeback after picking up the injury Feb 3.
“It is still broken. I had an x-ray. The show must go on. You’ve got to do these things when you’re playing for your country. It has been very painful. I’ve come back a lot earlier than I probably should have, but you have to do that when you’re playing for your country,” Lee told reporters at the MCG here Thursday.
Lee hurt his foot while fielding during a Twenty20 International against India in Melbourne.
The injury needed at least a month to heal but the fast bowler returned to ODIs against Sri Lanka in Sydney two weeks later.
“Hopefully, I’ve been doing my job and playing some decent cricket. We have got a great squad of players and some serious depth so we’ll wait and see what happens tomorrow night,” Lee said.
Lee said he is undeterred by the sacking of 37-year-old former captain Ricky Ponting from the ODI squad.
“Everyone has a chance of being under a lot of pressure at some stage of their career. I laugh every time I’ve been written off. I’ve been written off for the last 15 or 16 years but I’m still standing.
“I’m not looking too far ahead. Age shouldn’t be a barrier. If someone’s good enough at the age of 35 to 36, 40 years of age, who cares?” he said.
- I've been dropped, not rested: Haddin - Jan 31, 2012
- Young at 32 Lee to pull all stops to win Test spot back - Oct 30, 2009
- Fiery pacer Brett Lee retires from international cricket - Jul 13, 2012
- Lee eyeing bowling coach role if not selected in Oz World Cup squad - Jan 10, 2011
- Fit again Bollinger hopes for Test recall - Aug 16, 2011
- Fidel Edwards aiming to be fastest bowler on earth - Dec 18, 2011
- Clarke praises injury-prone Harris - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Want to play in the World Cup in India, which is special to me': Lee - Nov 27, 2010
- Lee backs Aussie fast bowlers to dominate World Cup campaign - Feb 06, 2011
- Australia can win World Cup but need to watch Pakistan: Bollinger - Mar 09, 2011
- Gayle hits back at West Indies Cricket Board - Apr 21, 2011
- David Hussey not giving up Test hopes - Feb 08, 2012
- Aussies set to unleash Lee, Tait in opening Twenty20 against England - Jan 09, 2011
- Lee lauds Australia's latest pace sensation Pattinson - Dec 31, 2011
- Johnson's selection puts pressure on Oz coaching staff: Blewett - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: brett lee, broken foot, captain ricky ponting, cricket, doing my job, India, march 1, mcg, melbourne march, odi squad, odis, ricky, right foot, sri lanka, sydney, tomorrow night, twenty20 international, x ray