Lebanon rejects peace talks with IsraelJune 19th, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Beirut, June 19 (DPA) Lebanon rejected Thursday for the second time this month any peace negotiations with Israel, emphasizing that Lebanese territories occupied by the Jewish state are subject to UN resolutions that do not require any talks. A close aide of Premier Fouad Seniora told DPA that “Lebanon did not receive any message from any side through US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.”
“There is no room for bilateral negotiations between Lebanon and Israel, and Lebanon’s declared stand, reiterated last week, is a commitment to the Arab peace initiative that calls for comprehensive and just peace,” the close aide said.
“Israel is obliged to withdraw from Lebanese territories, including Shebaa Farms, in line with UN (Security Council Resolution) 425 and 1701 this is why no peace (negotiations) are required,” the source said.
On Wednesday, Israel said it was ready for direct peace talks with neighbouring Lebanon.
“Today we have concurrent peace negotiations with both the Syrians and the Palestinians, and there is no logical reason why there should not also be talks with the Lebanese,” said Mark Regev, a spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
On Monday, Rice made a surprise visit to Beirut where she called for United Nations action on the occupied Shebaa Farms, an area Israel captured from Syria in 1967, and which Lebanon claims as its own.
A UN resolution that ended Israel’s devastating 33-day war against Lebanon in 2006 called for the UN secretary general to propose a border demarcation for the Shebaa Farms.
- UN chief urges restraint from Israel, Arab sides - May 16, 2011
- Ban expresses concern over situation in southern Lebanon - Jan 17, 2009
- Lebanese Army fires at Israeli jets flying over Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- UN pressing Israel to withdraw from southern Lebanon - May 05, 2009
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- 34,000 Syrian refugees reach Lebanon: UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel builds wall on Lebanese border - Apr 30, 2012
- UN chief condemns rocket attack on Israel - Nov 30, 2011
- Lebanon denounces Israeli threats in letters to UN - Oct 18, 2008
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Israel offers direct talks to Lebanon - Jun 18, 2008