Lebanon denounces Israeli threats in letters to UNOctober 18th, 2008 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Beirut, Oct 18 (Xinhua) Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Seniora has sent two letters to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, denouncing Israeli violations of Lebanese sovereignty, a statement from his office said Saturday. The statement said that one of the letters was “in relation to Israeli threats and violations,” while the other was “in relation to cluster bombs”.
In the first letter, Seniora condemned the “continuous Israeli violations to Lebanon’s sovereignty by land and sea” and obstacles persisting by the Israeli side in the process of demarking the border line between the two countries.
Lebanon claims that Israeli warplanes repeatedly violate Lebanese airspace notwithstanding the UN resolution that obliged both sides to respect the international “Blue Line” separating Lebanon from Israel.
The UN has called on the Jewish state to abide by the resolution so as not to undermine efforts to bring stability to the region.
Israel, however, said it would continue the controversial flights over Lebanon on the ground of that they were needed to stem alleged arms smuggling to Hezbollah guerillas.
Seniora also reproached verbal threats by Israeli officials against Lebanon.
Israeli officials have made several threats, saying that Israel would destroy Lebanon’s infrastructure in case Lebanon’s Shia militant group Hezbollah carries any aggression against Israel.
In the second letter, Seniora asked the international community to pressurise Israel into handing over the maps of cluster bombs Israel dropped during the 2006 war in south Lebanon, and called for financial assistance to dismantle these bombs.
At least 40 people have been killed by these bombs since the end of the devastating war in 2006 when Israel struck Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.
The Lebanese prime minister asked the UN chief distribute his two letters to members of the UN Security Council as documents.
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Lebanese Army fires at Israeli jets flying over Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- UN force holds talks with Lebanese and Israeli armies - Aug 05, 2010
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- UN to discuss Israel-Lebanon border incident - Aug 05, 2010
- Ban expresses concern over situation in southern Lebanon - Jan 17, 2009
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Lebanese spying for Israel sentenced to death - Aug 18, 2010
- UN chief calls for disbanding of Hezbollah - Oct 28, 2009
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010
- Hezbollah says ready for another war with Israel - Nov 12, 2010