Leave office and visit grain markets, Badal tells officersOctober 14th, 2008 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 14 (IANS) Burdened with complaints of slow paddy procurement this season, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Tuesday ordered top-ranking bureaucrats out of their offices in Chandigarh and directed them to supervise procurement in the grain markets.With the procurement of paddy in Punjab crossing 4.5 million tonnes till Tuesday evening and the government procurement agencies expecting a bumper crop of 14.5 mn tonnes this time, the Punjab government wants top bureaucrats to function from the field over the next few weeks to ensure smooth procurement.
“You should not even think of showing me your face in Chandigarh till the last grain of paddy is lifted,” Badal told a meeting of top bureaucrats here Tuesday.
All principal secretaries and secretaries have been asked to look after respective zones assigned to them. Some of the top bureaucrats have already embarked on their field assignments.
Badal’s media adviser Harcharan Bains said the chief minister asked the officers that “no war could be won if the generals stayed back home”.
Chief Secretary Ramesh Inder Singh had been asked to head the entire procurement operations.
Bains pointed out that the Principal Secretary to Chief Minister, D.S. Guru, had so far visited grain markets in Barnala, Bathinda, Muktsar, Ferozepur, Faridkot, Moga, Ludhiana and Ropar and would be visiting grain markets in Amritsar, Tarn Taran, Gurdaspur, Jalandhar, Kapurthala and Hoshiarpur within next couple of days.
Over 90 percent of the paddy so far has been procured by six government agencies, including five of the Punjab government. The remaining paddy has been procured by private millers.
Bains claimed that payment for the procured paddy had been made in case of 90 percent of the farmers.
Procurement of paddy started in the state Oct 1.
- Punjab, Haryana cross 2.65 mn tonnes paddy procurement - Oct 11, 2010
- Punjab procures over 100 lakh tonnes paddy - Nov 01, 2011
- 'Punjab deputy commissioners accountable for paddy procurement' - Oct 16, 2010
- Central team to visit Punjab to assess paddy damage - Oct 26, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes of paddy - Nov 11, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 147 lakh tonnes of paddy - Nov 08, 2011
- Two Punjab bureaucrats-turned-politicians bite the dust (Poll sidelights) - Mar 06, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana paddy procurement begins Saturday - Sep 30, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure over six mn tonnes paddy - Oct 19, 2010
- Over 4.5 mn tonne paddy procured in Punjab - Oct 18, 2010
- Punjab rues inaction on increasing food grain storage - Jul 16, 2011
- Paddy procurement in Haryana at all-time high - Dec 29, 2011
- Over 6 lakh tonnes of paddy purchased in Punjab - Oct 05, 2010
- 16 million tonnes of paddy procured in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 16, 2010
- Badal inducts three new chief parliamentary secretaries - Jun 17, 2011