Leased Russian N-submarine to reach India by month-endMarch 14th, 2012 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 14 (IANS) A nuclear-powered submarine India has leased from Russia will reach Indian shores by this month-end, a defence ministry official said here Wednesday.
“The submarine will be here in a fortnight,” the official said on condition of anonymity, on the sidelines of a defence investiture ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
With the submarine joining the Indian Navy fleet, India will become the world’s sixth operator of a nuclear-powered submarine.
The vessel, to be christened INS Chakra, was handed over to the Indian Navy Jan 23 at a naval facility in Russia.
It will be on a 10-year lease with India when the Indian Navy will learn to operate the nuclear-powered vessel in preparation for operating its own indigenous nuclear vessels of the INS Arihant class.
- Leased Russian n-submarine to set sail for India this month end - Dec 15, 2011
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- Russian n-sub for Indian Navy coming soon: Envoy - Dec 07, 2011
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian Navy inducts n-powered attack submarine - Apr 04, 2012
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
- India's carrier, n-sub programme delayed - Aug 08, 2012
- India's n-submarine Arihant to be commissioned 2012 (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear submarine to India - Jan 23, 2012
- Sea trials soon of India's indigenous n-submarine - Dec 02, 2011
- India to get Russian nuclear submarine in March - Oct 01, 2010
- After delays, Scorpene submarine now on track: Navy chief - Dec 02, 2010
- Navy to get Russian nuke submarine before July - Feb 01, 2010
- India, Russia to focus on n-energy, defence during summit - Dec 07, 2011
- Sea trials of n-sub for India begin in Russia - Aug 20, 2010