Lawyers to observe nationwide strike TuesdayFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) Work in most courts across the country is likely to be affected Tuesday as lawyers’ associations have decided to observe a nationwide strike to protest the “anti-public, anti-society” amendments to the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).“We are holding a nationwide strike Tuesday against anti-public and anti-society amendments (in CrPC). As many as 18 district court bar associations and 14 bar associations of various high courts will join in the token strike,” said Rajiv Khosla, a spokesperson for the striking lawyers’ coordination committee.
“We will hold a similar strike on Feb 18 as well,” he added.
With the amendments to the CrPC, it is no longer mandatory to arrest someone charged with an offence punishable with up to seven years in jail.
“The proposed amendment would remove fear from the mind of criminals, who will misuse the provisions under the garb of personal liberty,” Khosla added.
The decision to go on strike again was taken at a meeting of the coordination committee of bar associations of Delhi and various lawyers’ associations of the National Capital Region (NCR).
As part of their protests, the lawyers will hold a car and bike rally that will start at 3 p.m. from the Tis Hazari courts complex and will terminate at the Patiala House courts.
Advocates in Delhi and neighbouring areas of Faridabad, Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, Noida, Moradabad, Hisar, Bulandshahr and Alwar have observed a strike on three occasions so far.
The lawyers’ association has sent a memorandum to the president and the home minister, seeking withdrawal of the proposed amendments.
The advocates also disapproved the Limited Liability Partnership Bill and said it was aimed at allowing the “backdoor entry” of foreign lawyers into the country.
- Courts hit by nationwide lawyers' strike - Feb 03, 2009
- Delhi Bar Association poll cancelled, rescheduled for Feb 1 - Jan 25, 2012
- Lawyers' strike to back Anna hits litigants (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Lawyers strike work in Delhi courts - Mar 24, 2011
- Lawyers strike Jan 14 against statute amendments - Jan 10, 2009
- Delhi lawyers to strike work Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
- Lawyers strike against new 'no mandatory arrest' rule - Jan 14, 2009
- Omar's troubles persist -- now over his remedy - Nov 28, 2011
- Work in city courts affected by lawyers strike (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Delhi lawyers observe strike on bar council's call - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi's lower court lawyers to strike work Jan 20 - Jan 19, 2012
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Delhi High Court lawyers join strike - Jul 12, 2012
- Crummy Tis Hazari courthouse to finally get a facelift - Dec 29, 2011
- North India Bar bodies observe strike Monday against amendments - Jan 18, 2009