Lawyers strike work in UP, demand securityAugust 21st, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 21 (IANS) Judicial work in Uttar Pradesh was crippled Tuesday as lawyers across the state struck work for a day on a call by the Uttar Pradesh Bar Council to protest a series of attacks on lawyers.
The strike was provoked, particularly, by recent attack on senior Allahabad High Court lawyer Krishna Raj Sirohi, the assault on lawyers in Tiloi and police highhandedness against lawyers in Varanasi, Jaunpur, Banda, Sitapur, Meerut, Lakhimpur Kheri, Kushinagar and Gorakhpur.
Work came to a grinding halt in all district courts as well as the Allahabad High Court and the Lucknow bench of the high court. Ram Prakash Gupta, member of the bar council, told IANS that only recently, lawyers were caned by policemen in Pratapgarh. Two lawyers were kidnapped in Sitapur and goons bashed up a senior lawyer of the Allahabad High Court.
Accusing the government of failing to protect lawyers, bar council members said they would be holding a meeting in Allahabad Tuesday evening to decide on the future course of action.
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
- Lawyers in Uttar Pradesh boycott work - Sep 05, 2011
- Samajwadi workers clash with police, leaders detained (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Leaders held, workers baton-charged in Samajwadi Party protests (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- 33 IPS officers shifted in UP, power chief also booted out - Jul 31, 2012
- Court questions Uttar Pradesh on police station death - Jul 04, 2011
- Monsoon showers bring relief to UP - Jul 07, 2012
- SP activists protest against BSP, baton-charged - Mar 07, 2011
- Mayawati welcomes CBI probe in Banda rape - Sep 13, 2011
- Hundreds detained as Congress takes on Mayawati government (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Three brothers sentenced to life for murder - Mar 30, 2011
- Two lawyers killed in Uttar Pradesh clash - Sep 03, 2011
- Minor's rape, murder: Uttar Pradesh doctors may face action - Jun 16, 2011
- Girl, set ablaze by spurned suitor, dies - Feb 18, 2011
- Thousands of activists detained during protests: Samajwadi Party - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, bench, council members, district courts, grinding halt, jaunpur, judicial work, krishna, kushinagar, lawyer, lawyers, meerut, policemen, raj, ram prakash gupta, tuesday evening