Lawyers’ strike in Delhi district courtsSeptember 29th, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 29 (IANS) A daylong lawyers’ strike to protest a complaint lodged by a policeman, allegedly assaulted by bar association members of Rohini, Thursday affected work in all the six district courts in the capital.
“We are observing a strike against the false FIR (First Information Report) filed by Vijay Vats, Station House Officer (Keshav Puram Police station), who alleged that a group of lawyers in Rohini courts assaulted him Tuesday. It is a cooked-up story,” said Rajiv Khosla, spokesperson of Delhi Bar Association.
The SHO in the FIR filed Wednesday had complained that a group of lawyers in the Rohini courts Tuesday assaulted him and tore his uniform while he appeared before a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT).
An investigating officer (IO) had been summoned by the MACT court in a case, Khosla said.
“Whenever the judge questioned the IO, Vats was replying… the SHO entered into a verbal argument with the judge… he then pushed the lawyers and slapped one of them,” explained Khosla adding that the lawyers slapped Vats outside the court room.
“Just after the SHO came to know that the Rohini Bar Association had written a letter against him to the higher police authorities demanding strict action… the officer filed an FIR. The act was but a counter-blast,” Khosla said.
Besides, the judge has also sent a contempt reference against the SHO to the Delhi High Court, confirmed Khosla.
The FIR was lodged against the president and secretary of Rohini Bar Association.
- Lawyers' protest paralyses Delhi courts - Apr 07, 2012
- Delhi lawyers observe strike on bar council's call - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi High Court lawyers join strike - Jul 12, 2012
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills - Jan 20, 2012
- Delhi's lower court lawyers to strike work Jan 20 - Jan 19, 2012
- Lawyers' strike to back Anna hits litigants (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Attack on judges: Delhi lawyers observe strike - May 18, 2012
- Lawyers strike work in Delhi courts - Mar 24, 2011
- Delhi lawyers to strike work Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
- Four held for attack on Delhi judges (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Lawyers' strike cripples Delhi district courts (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Ghazibad court crippled by strike - Mar 20, 2012
- Lawyers strike hits court work on day two - Jul 12, 2012
- Lawyers' strike cripples Delhi district courts - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: bar association members, contempt, counter blast, delhi high court, district courts, fir, house officer, information report, lawyers, motor accident, New Delhi, police authorities, police station, policeman, rajiv khosla, rohini, spokesperson, station house, strict action, verbal argument