Lawyers strike hits court work on day twoJuly 12th, 2012 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) Court proceedings across the country were hit for the second day Thursday as around 1.7 million lawyers boycotted courts on the Bar Council of India’s call to protest a proposed legislation that could affect its autonomy and allow entry of foreign law institutes and universities into India.
The strike Wednesday-Thursday was to protest four proposed legislations, including the National Accreditation Regulatory Authority for Higher Educational Institutions Bill, 2010.
The Bar Council of India said the two-day strike was “successful”.
“Judicial proceedings across the country were affected due to the nation-wide lawyers strike Wednesday and Thursday,” Advocate Vijay Bhatt, associate managing trustee of the BCI, told IANS.
Bhatt said that BCI will organise a meeting after a few days to decide their next course of action if the government does not accept their demands.
Lawyers of the Delhi High Court along with colleagues of district courts joined the strike Thursday, The Delhi High Court lawyers had not joined the strike Wednesday.
Rohini Court Bar Association chief Inder Singh Saroha told IANS that the lawyers’ strike was aimed “to tell the government not to go against the legal fraternity”.
He said they could go for a “nationwide agitation” if the government does not accept their demands.
- Delhi High Court lawyers join strike - Jul 12, 2012
- Delhi lawyers observe strike on bar council's call - Jul 11, 2012
- Nationwide lawyers' strike badly hits court proceedings (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Lawyers' strike cripples judicial work in northeast - Jul 11, 2012
- Maharashtra, Goa lawyers on strike - Jul 11, 2012
- 1.4 lakh Maharashtra, Goa lawyers join all-India strike (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills - Jan 20, 2012
- Lawyers' strike in Delhi district courts - Sep 29, 2011
- Bar council slams bill on legal education - Jan 09, 2012
- Lawyers strike work in Delhi courts - Mar 24, 2011
- Delhi's lower court lawyers to strike work Jan 20 - Jan 19, 2012
- Thousands of Bihar lawyers strike against evening courts - Feb 15, 2011
- Lawyers' strike to back Anna hits litigants (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Bihar lawyers strike against evening courts enters third day - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: advocate, autonomy, bar council of india, bci, colleagues, court lawyers, court proceedings, delhi high court, district courts, higher educational institutions, inder singh, judicial proceedings, law institutes, legal fraternity, national accreditation, nationwide agitation, New Delhi, regulatory authority, rohini, trustee