Lawyer’s post mortem points to police tortureMay 14th, 2008 - 3:29 pm ICT by admin
Allahabad, May 14 (IANS) The Allahabad High Court lawyer who had been jailed in a contempt of court case and died in a hospital while in police custody had injury marks on his body, including his head, the post mortem report stated Wednesday. S.K. Awasthi died Tuesday at the S.R.N. Hospital here. His parents have alleged that that he was tortured while in jail and chained to the bed at the hospital.
There were seven injury marks on his body, the report revealed. Hospital chief medical officer Rajni Kant Gupta told IANS that Awasthi was admitted to the hospital on May 6 for acute psychosis but gradually developed renal failure.
As news of the lawyer’s death spread, irate colleagues ransacked the office of Justice B.S. Chauhan who had imposed the one month contempt of court sentence on April 22.
A meeting of the Allahabad High Court Bar Association chaired by its president V.C. Mishra was being held to discuss an indefinite strike demanding the transfer of Chauhan.
The Allahabad High Court Tuesday evening ordered an inquiry by a sitting district judge into the sensational death. Notices were also issued to the jail superintendent of Naini Central Jail, seeking an explanation to the circumstances leading to Awasthi’s death.
- Lawyer's post-mortem points to police torture (Lead) - May 15, 2008
- Doctors blame jail official for lawyer's custodial death - Jun 20, 2008
- Eyewitnesses say Allahabad lawyer was assaulted - May 15, 2008
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Court verdict on CBI probe into doctor's murder July 14 - Jul 12, 2011
- Lawyers take to streets after colleague's custodial death - May 13, 2008
- Now Allahabad lawyers want another judge out - May 19, 2008
- High Court too orders CBI probe into doctor's murder - Jul 14, 2011
- Jail doctors' strike claims inmate's life - Jun 20, 2008
- Apex court to hear Sanjiv Bhatt's plea Nov 18 (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- CBI begins probe in Sachan death - Jul 15, 2011
- New twist in demand for probe into health mission funds - Jul 25, 2011
- Court quashes man's life term for dowry death - Oct 27, 2011
- Apex court cautions against maligning judges - Jun 20, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into doctors' killing, medical graft - Jul 20, 2011