Lawyers drowned in MaharashtraJuly 29th, 2012 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Ratnagiri (Maharashtra), July 29 (IANS) Tragedy struck three lawyers, including two women, who were on a picnic, as they slipped in a waterfall here and drowned Sunday morning, a police official said.
The incident took place at the Nivali waterfall, around 50 km from Ratnagiri, which has been experiencing heavy rains in the past few weeks, said police officer Roshan Surve of the Ratnagiri rural police.
“They had gone for a picnic along with their colleagues and were enjoying in the waterfall. According to eyewitnesses, they suddenly slipped and were washed away in the powerful swirling waters nearly a hundred feet below,” Surve told IANS.
Their bodies were fished out by rescue teams from the village and the local police around noon, he added.
They have been identified as Prasad Mahajani, 41, Aparna Kulkarni, 32 and Anuja Sheth, 30.
All three were lawyers practicing in the Ratnagiri district court, and were part of a group of seven lawyers, Surve said.
The Nivali village waterfall is a popular picnic destination frequented by locals and tourists alike as it is located close to the Mumbai-Goa national highway, around 375 km south of Mumbai.
- Three Mumbai students drown in waterfall - Oct 31, 2011
- Two youth drown in pond in Mumbai national park - Jul 18, 2010
- Yet another theft in Maharashtra's village without locks - Feb 06, 2011
- Two die as luxury bus overturns in Maharashtra - Feb 24, 2012
- Four swimmers still missing in Maharashtra's Ratnagiri - Aug 19, 2012
- 4 students drown while on Valenmtine's Day picnic - Feb 14, 2011
- Two kids drown at Maharashtra beach - Apr 06, 2012
- Maharashtra vows to implement Jaitapur nuclear project - Apr 19, 2011
- Violent protests rock Ratnagiri over death of anti-Jaitapur activist (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2011
- 12 killed in two accidents in Maharashtra - May 24, 2011
- 12 killed in Maharashtra road accident (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- 12 killed in Maharashtra road accident - Feb 19, 2010
- Congress, NCP workers' clash blocks highway - Nov 07, 2011
- Four tourists drown in Arabian Sea (Lead) - May 29, 2010
- Fear of calamities must not hamper progress: Pawar - May 05, 2011
Tags: anuja, colleagues, eyewitnesses, goa, heavy rains, lawyers, locals, mumbai, picnic, police officer, police official, ratnagiri district, sunday morning, surve, tourists, tragedy, two women, waterfall