Lawyers demand hike in monetary jurisdiction, to strike workMay 7th, 2009 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) Lawyers of all the five district courts in the capital will strike work Friday to press for a hike in the monetary ceiling of trial courts.
The Coordination Committee of all Delhi District Court Bar Associations called for a strike May 8 against the alleged delay by the high court in granting enhanced monetary jurisdiction to the lower courts.
“The present jurisdiction of district courts is not sufficient even to entertain a dispute of an LIG (Lower Income Group) flat and the litigants are suffering because of this. Several meetings with the chief justice of the high court and numerous representations have also failed to yield any result forcing lawyers to go on a day-long strike,” said Mahesh Sharma, president of the committee.
The committee said it failed to understand why the high court has been adopting dilly-dallying tactics on the matter of transfer of original jurisdiction to district courts, which it said was depriving litigants of cheap and speedy justice in Delhi.
“The high courts of almost all states in the country are dealing in appellate and writ jurisdiction and the original jurisdiction of cases vests only with the district courts. Even in Delhi, prior to the establishment of the Delhi High Court, the trial of cases of all amounts vested with the District Court of Delhi,” said Rajiv Khosla, spokesperson of the coordination committee.
- Lawyers' strike cripples Delhi district courts - Jan 12, 2012
- Delhi district court lawyers go on day-long strike - May 08, 2009
- Delhi lawyers to strike work Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
- Lawyers' strike cripples Delhi district courts (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Lawyers strike work in Delhi courts - Mar 24, 2011
- Delhi lawyers to strike work Thursday - Mar 10, 2010
- Make Himachal college's building operational: Court - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Lawyers plan strike Wednesday on Hazare's arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- Lawyers' strike to back Anna hits litigants (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills - Jan 20, 2012
- Order reserved on recording court hearings - Jul 06, 2011
- Use discretion to further ends of justice: Apex court - Nov 07, 2011
- Delhi's lower court lawyers to strike work Jan 20 - Jan 19, 2012
- Supreme Court backs death for Kasab (Sixth Lead) - Aug 29, 2012