Lawyers continue to boycott high court judge (Lead)February 20th, 2009 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 20 (IANS) The Punjab and Haryana High Court Bar Association Friday evening announced it would continue to boycott a sitting judge.
The move followed a breakdown in efforts to sort out the issue between the high court and the bar association.
The bar association earlier Friday agreed to a proposal by a committee of two senior judges that Justice Uma Nath Singh be allowed to sit on a division bench with a senior judge with him, and the court work as single judge bench be withdrawn from him.
Chief Justice T.S. Thakur, who constituted the two-judge panel, did not accept the committee’s proposal till Friday evening.
“We will continue to boycott the court of Justice Uma Nath Singh. We had agreed to the proposal of the committee but that has not been implemented,” bar association president Rupinder S. Khosla said here.
Singh last week passed remarks against a lawyer here following which the lawyer complained to the bar association, which took up the issue with the chief justice. The judge, meanwhile, Thursday again made remarks against the lawyer and also said that he would issue contempt notice to him and the bar association office bearers.
Following this, the lawyers Thursday started an indefinite boycott of his court. They demanded that Singh be transferred out. Singh is a senior judge in the high court hierarchy.
Singh was last year also involved in an exchange with lawyers after he ordered that a lawyer be taken to a mental asylum. The lawyers had boycotted his court for a month that time also.
- Lawyers' boycott of judge to end after roster change - Mar 17, 2009
- Punjab and Haryana high court lawyers refuse to end judge's boycott - Mar 05, 2009
- High court tames judge to end impasse with lawyers - Feb 20, 2009
- Court takes up threat to Ayodhya verdict judges, lawyers - Mar 21, 2012
- Details sought of medical reimbursements to cabinet ministers, bureaucrats - Mar 29, 2012
- Punjab and Haryana High Court lawyers boycott judge's court - Feb 19, 2009
- Allahabad High Court to file petition against apex court - Dec 03, 2010
- Z-security provided to judges linked to Ayodhya Title suit - Mar 27, 2012
- Lawyers strike work in Delhi courts - Mar 24, 2011
- Court stays proposed service tax on individual lawyers (Second Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Lawyers' strike cripples Delhi district courts - Jan 12, 2012
- Controversies continue to haunt Punjab and Haryana High Court - Feb 23, 2009
- I-cards, welfare fund proposed for lawyers' clerks - Apr 07, 2011
- Court asks Uttar Pradesh to clear rail blockade by Jats - Mar 18, 2011
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011