Lawyers allege nepotism in bar council appointmentJuly 22nd, 2008 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 21 (IANS) Lawyers here organised a mock funeral procession of two senior lawyers Monday to protest what they alleged was nepotism in appointment of a member to the Delhi Bar Council. The lawyers said the membership was promised to the kin of a recently deceased lawyer. The lawyers organized a mock funeral procession of Delhi Bar Council president K.K. Manan and former president of the Delhi High Court Bar Association (DHBCA) Amarjeet Singh Chandok.
“A month ago one of the senior counsel, R.K. Kochar, passed away due to heart disease. He was the first member to be elected to the association. After his death, in his prayer meet K.C. Mittal, chairman of DHCBA, promised all the lawyers that Kochar’s son Rakesh Kochar, also a member of the Shahdara Bar Association, will be made a member of the Delhi Bar Council and can avail the opportunity of filling up the vacant seat,” said D.D.Pandey, lawyer leading the protest.
However, two days back, Manan appointed Chandiok as the member of the council instead of Kochar.
“This is sheer injustice, how can you not abide by what you promise in front of everyone? We are very upset and will carry on the protest till the time Rakesh is made the member of the council,” said another member of the association.
Manan, however, could not be reached to get his version of the story. The lawyers are planning to continue the protest Tuesday as well.
- Delhi lawyers observe strike on bar council's call - Jul 11, 2012
- Court fees hike: Delhi questions counsel's appearance - Sep 11, 2012
- Three new judges join Delhi High Court - Oct 17, 2011
- Lawyers strike work in Delhi courts - Mar 24, 2011
- CRPF starts taking over Delhi High Court security - Sep 09, 2011
- Cops barred from using mobile phones in court - Sep 11, 2011
- Parekh elected apex court bar association chief - May 12, 2011
- Delhi lawyers form new welfare council - Jul 30, 2012
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi bar council - Mar 07, 2012
- More accountability for judiciary recommended - Apr 23, 2011
- Lawyers abstain from work in Gujarat High Court - Dec 07, 2010
- Delhi lawyers strike work against bills - Jan 20, 2012
- Delhi's lower court lawyers to strike work Jan 20 - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Singhvi CD issue has harmed legal profession' - Apr 23, 2012