Lawyer murder: Watchman sent to police custodyAugust 11th, 2012 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 11 (IANS) A Mumbai magistrate court Saturday remanded Sajjad Ahmed Mughal, the watchman accused in the murder of 25-year-old woman lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha to police custody till Aug 17.
Mughal allegedly killed Purkayastha early Thursday by slitting her throat in an apartment because she had rebuked him.
Mughal was presented before a magistrate court around noon, which remanded him to police custody till Aug 17, crime branch officials said.
Mumbai Police had claimed to solve the case Friday. They said that Purkayastha was murdered by Mughal and that it was a “premeditated act of perversion”.
Police will question Mughal further and is also likely to book the security agency that employed him under the Security Agencies Regulation Act.
The Mumbai Police might also initiate the verification of such agencies.
According to police, Mughal confessed to having planned the murder and that he was waiting for the right moment to put it in action and he got the opportunity Wednesday night, when Purkayastha’s boyfriend and live-in partner did not come home till late in the night.
Purkayastha stayed with her boyfriend Avik Sengupta, also a lawyer, who found her murdered early Thursday.
Puryakastha, the daughter of Delhi-based Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Atanu Puryakastha, had had a tiff with Mughal over an issue in the society and rebuked him. In the early hours of Thursday, he allegedly slit her throat to seek revenge for his humiliation.
- Stunned over Pallavi's death: Excel Entertainment officials - Aug 11, 2012
- Guard confesses to murdering Mumbai lawyer - Aug 10, 2012
- Guard confesses to murdering Mumbai lawyer, act premediated: Police (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Woman lawyer found murdered in Mumbai home - Aug 09, 2012
- Mumbai murder commited by unverified security guard? - Aug 11, 2012
- Police custody of 23 Mumbai rioters extended - Aug 19, 2012
- Four arrested for murders in Kolkata - Sep 09, 2012
- Police remand for former Chhota Rajan aide - Aug 12, 2011
- Nupur Talwar taken into custody, CBI opposes bail (Fourth Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Woman, employee held for murdering husband - Apr 12, 2011
- Laila Khan murder: Tak's police custody extended (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Nupur Talwar's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Nupur Talwar jailed, bail hearing resumes Tuesday (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- No arrest for Nupur Talwar, rules apex court (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- GNLA chief sent to 14 days judicial custody - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: ahmed, apartment, avik, branch officials, crime branch, humiliation, indian administrative service, magistrate court, old woman, perversion, regulation act, revenge, right moment, security agencies, security agency, tiff, watchman, wednesday night, woman lawyer