Lawyer imprisoned 25 years after contemptSeptember 24th, 2008 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 24 (IANS) A lawyer in Chandigarh Wednesday was sentenced to one month’s imprisonment by the Punjab and Haryana High Court for a contempt he committed 25 years ago.A division bench of the high court Wednesday held lawyer M.L. Sharma guilty of contempt to court and awarded him one month’s simple imprisonment.
Sharma was accused of tampering with judicial records in the high court in 1983.
It was alleged that he tampered with the records to help his client file an appeal against a dismissed case by changing the date of the case. The date of filing the appeal had already lapsed.
Though the defence counsel argued that no evidence was found against Sharma, the high court judges held Sharma guilty of contempt.
- Jagan's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Chhattisgarh HC permits EU team to witness proceedings on Sen's appeal - Jan 24, 2011
- Court reserves order on Jagan bail plea - Jun 28, 2012
- Enough proof against Lajpat Nagar blast accused: Police (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Lawyer did not inform about court hearing: Ruchika's father - May 11, 2010
- Karnataka BJP legislator gets bail in bribery case - Jun 05, 2012
- Himachal gets notice on private counsel for officials - Jun 20, 2012
- Shivani Bhatnagar murder: Ex-cop R.K. Sharma walks free - Oct 12, 2011
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Court hears Rathore's bail plea, decision Thursday (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Chhattisgarh HC to hear Binayak Sen bail plea - Jan 24, 2011
- Verdict Tuesday on bail pleas of 2G spectrum case co-accused - Apr 21, 2011
- Gilani convicted, opposition demands his ouster (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Kachroo ragging death: Justice in suspended animation - Jul 17, 2012