Lawrence School invites Bhutan royalsOctober 21st, 2011 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 21 (IANS) Lawrence School, the alma mater of Bhutan’s new queen in Himachal Pradesh, has invited the newly-wed royal couple to the school, her former teacher said Friday.
The couple will be in India next week on a nine-day official-cum-honeymoon trip.
“We have invited queen Jetsun Pema Wangchuck to visit her alma mater with the king,” Neelam Tahlan, who was Jetsun’s house mistress while she was in the residential Lawrence School in Kasauli hills, told IANS.
Tahlan, who attended the royal wedding in Bhutan last week, said she spoke to Jetsun on the phone and extended her the invitation on behalf of the school.
“I would love to visit my old school,” Jetsun responded.
Pema tied the knot with the 31-year-old king at a colourful Buddhist ceremony at a 17th century monastery in the ancient capital of Punakha Oct 13.
In New Delhi, Bhutan’s monarch, Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, will meet President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
After the talks, the couple will head to Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur in Rajasthan.
This would be Wangchuck’s fourth visit to India since his coronation in November 2008.
Jetsun, 10 years younger to the king, did her higher secondary schooling from Lawrence from 2006 to 2008. She completed her Class 12 in March 2008.
Her younger sister Serchen Doma is still studying here.
Serchen, who left for Bhutan Sep 27 to participate in the fortnight-long wedding celebrations, will return to the school Saturday.
- Greetings from India ring bells at Bhutan's royal wedding - Oct 13, 2011
- Bhutan king to marry India-educated bride Oct 13 - Sep 16, 2011
- Himachal-educated girl to marry Bhutan king - May 22, 2011
- Bhutan's newly-wed royal couple heading to India - Oct 21, 2011
- India rolls out red carpet for Bhutan's royal couple - Oct 24, 2011
- India to host Bhutan's royal couple - Oct 13, 2011
- Oxford-educated Bhutan king weds commoner - Oct 13, 2011
- Oxford-educated Bhutan king weds commoner (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- Special train for Bhutan royal couple - Oct 25, 2011
- Bhutan to help promote tourism in Bihar - May 06, 2011
- Bhutan King meets President Pratibha Patil in New Delhi - Oct 22, 2010
- Nitish Kumar in Bhutan to study hydel projects - May 04, 2011
- Bhutan PM to carry home Buddha's relics - Oct 01, 2011
- Bhutan King meets Prime Minister Manmohan Singh - Oct 20, 2010
- India, Bhutan to enhance cooperation in energy sector - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: alma mater, buddhist ceremony, fortnight, himachal pradesh, honeymoon trip, jigme khesar namgyel wangchuck, jodhpur, kasauli, manmohan, manmohan singh, neelam, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajasthan, royal couple, royal wedding, secondary schooling, udaipur, wedding celebrations