Law to protect children against sexual offences soon: TirathNovember 26th, 2010 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IANS) The government has proposed to bring in a new law to curb rising number of cases of sexual offence against children and a draft bill is at the stage of inter-ministerial consultation, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said Friday.
“The draft bill on protection of children from sexual offences is at the stage of inter-ministerial consultation and will be introduced after these are completed and after seeking the approval of the competent authority,” Tirath told the Lok Sabha.
“The draft bill incorporates child friendly procedures for reporting, recording, investigating and trial of offences. It aims to protect the child’s right to privacy, provides for designation of special courts for trial of offences and stringent punishment to provide adequate deterrence,” she added.
The minister quoted the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data to say that cases of sexual offences against children “are on the rise”. From 2,256 cases in 2001, the number increased to 5,749 in 2008.
Further, a study by the women and child development ministry in 2007 showed that over 50 percent of the 12,447 children interviewed faced some form of sexual abuse. And in most cases the offender was known to the child.
- Define under-18's as children: Ministry - Jul 23, 2010
- Rajya Sabha passes bill on sexual offences against kids - May 11, 2012
- 'Will consider including sports in sexual harassment bill' - Jul 23, 2010
- Consensual sex below age 16 is an offence: Tirath (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Consensual sex below age of 16 is offence: Krishna Tirath - Feb 01, 2011
- Scheme for rape victims' rehabilitation in final stage - Dec 15, 2010
- Bill against sexual harassment likely in parliament's monsoon session (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Bill against sexual harassment likely in parliament's monsoon session - Jul 05, 2010
- Modified land bill draft to be retrospective: Ramesh - Aug 19, 2011
- 'Include rehabilitation in children sexual offence bill' - Dec 21, 2011
- Maximum child abuse cases from Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - Nov 22, 2010
- Government to review draft bill on sexual harassment at workplace - Jan 08, 2010
- Land bill to be retrospective: Ramesh (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Dowry, sexual harassment laws among government priorities - Jun 11, 2010
- Important bills for budget session (With Coalition hiccups come to the fore in parliament) - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: child development, competent authority, crime records, designation, deterrence, development minister, development ministry, draft bill, krishna, Lok Sabha, ministerial consultation, national crime, ncrb, New Delhi, right to privacy, sexual abuse, sexual offence, sexual offences, special courts