Law Minister imputes ‘political motives’ to poll panel chiefFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) Union Law Minister H.R. Bhardwaj Monday attributed political motives to Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami for seeking the ouster of Election Commissioner Navin Chawla from the poll panel.”This is unfortunate that the move has come when the election commission should have been revising voters list and preparing for the elections,” he said
“He (Gopalaswami) should not behave like a political boss,” Bhardwaj added.
Asserting that “it is my ministry which is the administrative ministry of the election department”, Bhardwaj said Gopalaswami should have consulted the law ministry before writing to President Pratibha Patil.
Bhardwaj said the documents sent by Gopalaswami to the president came to the law ministry through the prime minister’s office and the ministry will give its opinion after examining them.
Gopalaswami late last month demanded the removal of Chawla over charges of “partisanship”. Gopalaswami sent his recommendation to the president, who has forwarded it to the prime minister.
- Government blasts Gopalaswami, says Chawla to succeed him (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- All smiles as Election Commission calls all-party meeting - Feb 03, 2009
- BJP takes Karnataka battle to Delhi - May 16, 2011
- Karnataka battle: NDA leaders meet PM; Yeddyurappa, MLAs to meet president (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- Yeddyurappa rules out resignation, says will fight till end - Jan 22, 2011
- NDA leaders meet PM over Karnataka, demand governor's dismissal - May 16, 2011
- Poll chief seeks parity in removal process of commissioners - Jan 27, 2010
- President rejects CEC plea to sack Chawla - Mar 01, 2009
- Congress silent on BJP demand for Bhardwaj's ouster - May 18, 2011
- Gopalaswami wants him out, Chawla not to quit (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Advani argues for Chawla's removal - Feb 02, 2009
- CEC Gopalaswami wants him out, Chawla digs in (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2009
- Bhardwaj allows Yeddyurappa's prosecution, BJP calls for Karnataka bandh (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2011
- UPA violating constitution, dictating terms to EC: BJP - Feb 03, 2009
- Bhardwaj praises Yeddyurappa for 'hard work' - May 18, 2011