Late strike from Russell, Sammy propel West Indies to 260/5 (Lead)December 5th, 2011 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Dec 5 (IANS) The West Indies smashed 73 runs in the last five overs to post a competitive 260/5 in the third One-Day International against India here Monday.
All-rounder Andre Russell and captain Darren Sammy took the Indian pacers to the cleaners in the death overs after Marlon Samuels scored a patient 58 at the top of the order.
Russell’s 40 off 18 balls and Sammy’s 41 off 17 turned things around for the visitors, who are looking for their maiden win on the tour.
Their brutal attack also exposed the inexperience of the likes of Umesh Yadav and Abhimanyu Mithun, who gave away 43 runs in the last 12 balls.
Mithun, playing his first match of the series and in hunt to be Praveen Kumar’s replacement on the Australia tour, conceded 47 runs in seven overs. His last over went for 23 with Sammy hitting him for consecutive sixes over long on and cover. Yadav leaked 75 runs from nine overs.
The West Indies got off to a bad start as they lost in-form opener Lendl Simmons (1) early on and found scoring tough for as long as the 40th over.
Pollard (29) once again got out after a promising start with Ravindra Jadeja taking a blinder in the deep off Vinay Kumar (2/39).
Darren Bravo (26) and Samuels had shared 55 runs for the third wicket before the stylish southpaw was forced to retire at the end of the 26th over.
The West Indies are down 0-2 in the five-match series.
- Rohit Sharma smashes 95, but India lose third ODI (Roundup) - Dec 06, 2011
- Rohit Sharma smashes 95, but India lose third ODI (Lead) - Dec 06, 2011
- India face confident West Indies in fourth ODI - Dec 07, 2011
- India to field in third ODI - Dec 05, 2011
- Scoreboard: Third ODI West Indies innings - Dec 05, 2011
- Praveen Kumar ruled out of first three ODIs against Windies - Nov 28, 2011
- India elect to bat, Rahul Sharma debuts - Dec 08, 2011
- India look to seal series against Windies Monday - Dec 04, 2011
- India put West Indies in to bat in first ODI - Nov 29, 2011
- India will have lot of ground to cover - Dec 01, 2011
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Windies have everything to gain against India (Preview) - Dec 10, 2011
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. West Indies, 4th ODI - Dec 08, 2011
- Scoreboard: Second ODI West Indies innings - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: abhimanyu, australia tour, balls, brutal attack, inexperience, jadeja, marlon samuels, mithun, pacers, pollard, rounder, sammy, simmons, sixes, southpaw, umesh, vinay kumar, west indies, wicket, yadav