Last Israeli troops leave Gaza StripJanuary 21st, 2009 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Jan 21 (DPA) Israel pulled the last of its soldiers out the Gaza Strip Wednesday morning, over two and a half weeks after they were sent in as part of an intense Israeli operation against militants in the salient, a military spokesman in Tel Aviv said.The spokesman would not give further details about the withdrawal.
Israeli troops began pulling out the Strip Sunday evening, hours after Israel announced a unilateral ceasefire, ending its three-week-long Operation Cast Lead.
The operation, launched in response to massive rocket salvos from the salient on population centres in southern Israel, began Dec 27 with a week of intense airstrikes.
Ground forces crossed into the Strip on the evening of Jan 3.
More than 1,400 Palestinians are estimated to have been killed in the Israeli assault, either by airstrikes or in the heavy fighting which followed after the troops took up positions in the enclave.
Some 10 Israeli soldiers and three civilians were also killed in the operation.
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Militants declare limited Gaza ceasefire - Jan 18, 2009
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Israel's unilateral ceasefire in Gaza comes into effect (Third Lead) - Jan 18, 2009
- Rockets, gunfire hours after Gaza ceasefire begins (Lead) - Jan 18, 2009
- Israeli Navy seizes Gaza-bound aid ship (Second lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Gaza-bound ship refuses Israeli order to change course (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Israeli soldier killed by friendly fire - Mar 23, 2010
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Israel's unilateral ceasefire in Gaza goes into effect (Second Lead) - Jan 18, 2009
- Israeli warplanes strike in Gaza, five injured - Apr 02, 2010
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Israel's security cabinet expected to vote on ceasefire - Jan 17, 2009
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- 520 Palestinians killed since Israeli offensive began (Lead) - Jan 05, 2009