Landslides snap rail traffic in HimachalSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 23 (IANS) Traffic on the Kalka-Shimla railway line was snapped Thursday following massive landslides on the track triggered by heavy rainfall in the region in the past few days, an official said here.
“The traffic was closed down in the morning due to massive landslips on the track at various locations. No train is running between Shimla and Kalka,” Shimla Station Superintendent G.S. Rajput told IANS.
He said men and machinery have been deployed to reopen the rail line.
Another rail official said it might take one or two days to normalise the traffic as the track between Solan and Shimla towns was damaged badly.
Five train services run daily on the 96-km century-old Kalka-Shimla railroad.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) included the 30-inch gauge Kalka-Shimla rail line in the list of world heritage sites in July 2008. The scenic journey along the rail line from 640 metres above sea level at Kalka to Shimla at 2,060 metres attracts a large number of tourists.
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Forest fire disrupts Kalka-Shimla rail traffic - Apr 19, 2010
- Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Special Kalka-Shimla trains start for New Year - Dec 27, 2009
- Holiday special trains on Kalka-Shimla track stopped - Jul 09, 2009
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- Rail engine derails in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 01, 2010
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Love on track - on Kalka-Shimla train - Apr 29, 2010
- Trains back on Kalka-Shimla railway line - Dec 22, 2008
- Group travel? Charter a train to Shimla (With Images) - May 17, 2010
- Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track - Apr 25, 2011
- Trains back on Kalka-Shimla world heritage railway - Sep 26, 2008
Tags: few days, inch gauge, journey, kalka, landslips, massive landslides, rail traffic, railway line, rainfall, rajput, sea level, shimla, solan, superintendent, tourists, train services, unesco, united nations, world heritage sites