Landslide kills 12 in BangladeshJuly 2nd, 2011 - 5:42 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, July 2 (IANS) Twelve people were killed in a landslide in southeastern Bangladesh Friday, Xinhua reported.
The rain-triggered landslide occurred in Chittagong city, about 240 km from Dhaka.
“We have retrieved 12 bodies,” fire service official Ruhul Amin said.
A big chunk of earth fell from a hill fell on some thatched houses in the city around 7.00 a.m., he said.
Most of the victims were slum dwellers who built makeshift houses on hill slopes despite warnings from the authorities.
A team from the Bangladesh Army’s engineering and medical corps has joined the rescue operation.
Chittagong City Corporation Mayor Mohammad Monjur Alam after visiting the site told reporters that steps have been taken to shift other shanties in the area to safer places.
Landslides are frequent in the hilly areas of Bangladesh during monsoon, which usually runs from June to September.
In June last year, over 50 people were killed in landslides in the country’s southeastern districts.
- 48 killed in Bangladesh landslides (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- 90 die in Bangladesh floods, landslides - Jun 27, 2012
- 12 killed in South Korea landslide - Jul 27, 2011
- Satellite equipment seized in Bangladesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Bangladesh, India to start work on Feni bridge - May 05, 2012
- India approves new railway link with Bangladesh - Sep 21, 2011
- India to build new railway track to link with Bangladesh - Feb 14, 2012
- Six missing after landslide hits village in southeastern China - Apr 24, 2012
- Landslide kills one in Guwahati - Jun 25, 2012
- Three dead, dozens injured in police firing in Bangladesh - Dec 13, 2010
- BSF stops Bangladeshi tribals' bid to enter India - Aug 05, 2012
- Bangladesh minister to visit India in July: Sangma - Jun 26, 2010
- 12 dead in China landslides - Sep 19, 2011
- 'Cordial ties with Bangladesh important for India' - Jul 22, 2011
- Floods, landslides kill 130 in Bangladesh - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: alam, amin, authorities, chunk, dhaka, fire service, hill slopes, hilly areas, landslide, landslides, medical corps, mohammad, monsoon, rain, s engineering, shanties, slum dwellers, southeastern bangladesh, thatched houses, xinhua