Landslide buries six students in PakistanApril 6th, 2008 - 7:22 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, April 6 (DPA) Six Islamic seminary students were killed and four others injured when they were buried under a landslide in Pakistan’s northern district of Mansehra, a senior official said Sunday. The incident occurred late Saturday night as young students who were trekking from their school to their hometown in Kala Dhaka area, had a stopover at the foot of a mountain, said Munir Azam, a state administrator in Mansehra.
“Inclement conditions had hindered the students’ journey and, unfortunately, they were struck by a mass of boulders and loose earth,” Azam told DPA.
Locals dug out the victims, but six of them were already dead, Azam said, adding that four more were rescued and shifted to a nearby health care facility.
Meanwhile, three people froze to death while attempting to walk through a mountain pass that was blocked to vehicles by snow in north-western Pakistan, a news report said Sunday.
The three were part of a group that was trekking across the Lowari Pass Saturday to reach Chitral district in the North-West Frontier Province, The News daily quoted local police chief Sher Akbar as saying.
Lowari Pass, the shortest access to Chitral valley from the south, generally remains closed for vehicles from November to May, with travellers preferring to cross it on foot rather than opting for alternative routes, including one through neighbouring Afghanistan.
An 8-km plus railroad tunnel is being built to provide an all-weather tranport system.
- Lack of funds hits work on Pakistan tunnel - Aug 08, 2011
- 5.6-magniude quake jolts Pakistan - Mar 21, 2011
- Himachal's Saach Pass to reopen in June - Apr 30, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Eight die in Pakistan blast - Jun 07, 2012
- Beijing increases investment in China-Pakistan railway - Oct 11, 2011
- Nobody can stop me from returning to Pakistan,says Musharraf - Nov 25, 2010
- Madrassa teacher held for sodomising student - Mar 23, 2011
- 50 kids found chained in Pakistan seminary dungeon - Dec 13, 2011
- Pakistani varsity students design solar car - Jun 21, 2012
- Snow leopard seen again in Pakistan - Jan 27, 2012
- Six Amarnath pilgrims killed in road accident - Jul 03, 2010
- Pakistan: Seven passengers die after bus driver falls asleep - Apr 12, 2012
- Rohtang Pass reopens for traffic - Aug 06, 2012
- Bhutan modernises...with soul intact (IANS Travel, With Images) - Mar 22, 2011