Landscape of Ladakh comes alive on catwalkOctober 17th, 2008 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 17 (IANS) The models walked in hues of white, black and a tinge of blue in designer duo Nikhil and Shantanu’s creations that were inspired by the gigantic rocks and serene lakes of Ladakh.The duo showcased their line Serenity at the day two of the ongoing Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW) here late Thursday evening.
Talking about the inspiration behind this collection, Nikhil said: “We were mesmerized by the landscapes of Ladakh and the beauty of nature. This is our ode to the place and nature that has nurtured us but still we do not appreciate this fact.”
“It is our take on nature and our whole line depicts just one thing - when human beings and nature would come together - there would be a serene effect on everyone,” he added.
In this Fiama Di Wills sponsored show, Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone sashayed down the ramp in a white tunic that had a face of Ladakhi boy printed on it.
“The landscapes of Ladakh are dominated by mountains, lakes and rocks, so it was obvious that the colour palette would be very close to what we want to showcase,” Shantanu said.
A lot of organza was used in the collection and apart from that innovative fabrics and surface texturing dominated the line. Loose drapes around the body of the model represented rocks.
“We had used innovative materials and techniques but there was a dress that was made of only paper. It was simply to remind everyone that we should start taking care of nature or else it will be too late,” Nikhil said.
“The landscapes of Ladakh depict drama and the place gives visual treat to your eyes so we have to be dramatic in our representation,” Shantanu told IANS.
- High on creativity, Gen Next designers open LFW (With Images) - Aug 17, 2011
- A bit of Kanjivaram, dollops of vintage clothes at WIFW (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 05, 2011
- Chronicle of fashion foretold: Orange for winter - Apr 19, 2011
- WIFW widens horizon - fuses fashion with social cause (IANS Preview) - Feb 14, 2012
- Dia, Sameera cheer for Shantanu-Nikhil - Feb 15, 2012
- Shantanu-Nikhil, Neeta Lulla open Blenders Pride Fashion Tour - Aug 21, 2010
- Shantanu-Nikhil to open WIFW 2012 - Jan 31, 2012
- Sports joins glamour at Rajasthan Fashion Week - May 26, 2012
- Fashion label Dozakh forays into Bollywood - Oct 11, 2011
- Colours, bling and cuts on WIFW runway - Apr 08, 2011
- Straight from Africa, stale jungle safari at WIFW - Apr 09, 2011
- LFW designers set to bring Ladakh's hues, shades on ramp (With Images) - Jul 13, 2011
- Mallya Junior attends LFW show sans Deepika Padukone - Mar 14, 2011
- Shivan & Naresh, Swapnil Shinde use lasers in LFW show - Aug 07, 2012
- Indian weddings have become liberal: Shantanu and Nikhil - Aug 12, 2012