Landmine blast kills six CRPF troopers in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead)August 29th, 2008 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 29 (IANS) Six personnel of the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) were killed Friday in a landmine explosion in Chhattisgarh’s Maoist stronghold of Bastar.According to police, the incident took place in Narayanpur district’s Chheribera area, about 350 km from here, when the jeep in which the troopers were travelling in was blown up by a landmine explosion triggered by Maoist guerrillas.
“Four constables besides an inspector and a driver were killed instantly when a jeep ran over the landmine in forested Narayanpur,” Girdhari Nayak, who heads anti-Maoist operations in the state, told IANS.
The inspector has been identified as R.S. Kang.
The team was on its way to an area in the interiors for the opening of a road and Maoist guerrillas were lying in ambush at a turning point, he said. They triggered the blast as they saw the vehicle approaching.
Local officials said the insurgents escaped with the guns belonging to the troopers. About 250 men of the state police and CRPF have launched an operation in the area to apprehend the attackers, officials said.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh, who was on a daylong visit to Chhattisgarh, appealed to the rebels to desist from violence. At a function at Durg town, he urged them to “draw a lesson from the Maoists in Nepal and shun violence as it never offered a solution”.
Narayanpur is one of the five districts in the state’s vast southern forested Bastar region, known as a Maoist hotbed since 1980. About 20,000 state and central government forces have been deployed in the region.
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Six CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh landmine blast (Lead) - Aug 29, 2008
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Aug 07, 2012
- CRPF trooper killed in Maoist attack - Sep 18, 2011
- Landmines recovered in Chhattisgarh - Apr 28, 2011
- Security forces kill 17 Maoists (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Chhattisgarh Maoists step up attacks to taunt army, say experts - Jun 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cops search forests after Maoist attack - Apr 21, 2010
- Three killed as Maoists ambush CRPF team (Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- Eight CRPF men injured in Chhattisgarh blast - Jun 30, 2010
- Maoists open fire at Chhattisgarh CRPF camp - Jul 08, 2010
- 25 kg landmine defused in Chhattisgarh - May 10, 2011
- 10 securitymen die in Maoist landmine blast (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- CRPF trooper killed as Maoists trigger IED blast - Mar 18, 2010