Land should be given back to shrine board: BJPAugust 30th, 2008 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 29 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh said Friday that the Jammu and Kashmir government should give back the controversial piece of land to the Amarnath shrine board to solve the unrest in the state.Singh, who reached Chhattisgarh on a day-long visit to launch the party’s poll campaign in the state, told a public meeting at Durg town, 40 km from here: “The land should be returned to the Amarnath shrine board to resolve the crisis and end protests in Jammu.” Chhattisgarh goes to the polls in November.
The Jammu and Kashmir government first awarded 40 hectares of forest land to the temple trust, which it revoked on July 1 following an outcry in the Kashmir Valley. The move triggered a backlash in Hindu-dominated Jammu and subsequently in the Kashmir Valley.
Singh said the Congress-led central government “has hurt the feelings of the Hindus by its role in the controversy”.
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012
- Chidambaram in Jammu, visits Vaishno Devi - Apr 10, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- It's 'nationalists vs separatists' in Jammu and Kashmir: Advani - Aug 26, 2008
- India's Kashmir policy faulty: ex-governor Sinha - Sep 21, 2012
- Ahead of Amarnath pilgrimage, Kashmir secures routes - Jun 06, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Kashmir survives another tragedy, this time without blood - Jul 01, 2012
- First Amarnath prayers offered, not at shrine (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Chidambaram discusses AFSPA with Kashmir government (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- Omar pledges to keep Kashmir trouble-free this summer - Jan 28, 2011
- Chidambaram in Jammu, Omar presses for AFSPA withdrawal - Apr 10, 2012