Land promised to landless in KeralaOctober 5th, 2008 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Kannur, Oct 5 (IANS) The Kerala government will provide land to all the landless in the state before the end of its term, chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan said Sunday. Speaking at the inauguration of land distribution fair at Kannur, Achuthanandan said 1,559 persons were given title deeds for 10 cents (4355.90 square feet) of land each.
“We want to ensure dwellings to all the people. Kerala will become a model in this,” he said adding that the Left Democratic Front (LDF) is planning to organise such fairs in all districts of the state.
The minister said thousands of acres of land, which is in illegal possession of big landlords, would be recovered and distributed among the poor. “This mission will be completed in a time bound manner”.
“After coming to power, this government has distributed one acre each to around 2,500 tribal families. Those who haven’t got the land yet will receive it soon.”
Achuthanandan said vested interests are trying to scuttle the government’s drive to repossess encroached land in Munnar (Idukki district).
Revenue Minister K.P. Rajendran said the government will announce its land policy next month.
- Breach of privilege notice against Kerala revenue minister - Jul 20, 2010
- Chandy plans all-party meet on encroachment in Munnar hills - Jun 15, 2011
- Court stays Kerala dam demolition - Feb 05, 2010
- Land allotment to Achuthanandan's relative to be probed - Jun 01, 2011
- Kerala decides to act tough on Munnar encroachers - Feb 02, 2010
- Achuthanandan offers to quit over land scam, party says no - Jan 13, 2012
- Left Front seeks action on all Munnar encroachments - Jan 29, 2010
- Land scam case against me is baseless: Achuthanandan - Aug 17, 2012
- Vigilance quizzes Achuthanandan in land transfer case - Jun 23, 2012
- Kerala opposition stage walkout over Munnar land row - Dec 17, 2008
- Tatas' domination in Munnar should end, says LDF - Feb 18, 2010
- I will deal with land transfer case: Achuthanandan - Jan 12, 2012
- Government will run tourism in Munnar: Achuthanandan - Oct 09, 2008
- Don't try honest Achuthanandan, Karat warns Kerala government - Jan 20, 2012
- Munnar's illegal constructions to be demolished - Jan 30, 2010