Lalu save Bholu: PETAOctober 23rd, 2008 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 23 (IANS) ‘Lalu, save Bholu’ is the slogan of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to save elephants that are killed in accidents with trains in the country. Bholu the elephant is the official mascot of the Indian Railways.PETA members, in their effort to draw attention to the issue, enacted a scene in front of Rail Bhavan here with a railway engine killing a dummy elephant.
“We are trying to create awareness among people that hundreds of elephants are killed every year in accidents with trains. This is posing a serious danger to our wild life,” Sachin Bangera, campaign coordinator of PETA told IANS.
PETA said that though the railways minister had formed a committee to look into the matter to save wild elephants, no progress has been made so far.
“We had urged Laluji to take action, in response we were told that a committee has been formed. But, there has been no progress, as two elephants have already died in rail accidents last month,”
“It’s time for the government to take proactive steps to protect Bholu’s real life friends in the wild,” said Sachin.
According to a survey conducted by Wildlife Trust of India, in the past two decades, the number of elephants has dropped by over 50 percent.
Besides poaching, train accidents are said be the prime reason for their decline.
- PETA moots speed guns against trains that kill tuskers - Oct 05, 2010
- Jagjit Singh raises elephant deaths with Mamata - Apr 20, 2011
- Jagjit Singh for slow trains in elephant corridors - Apr 20, 2011
- Save elephants from trains, says animal rights body - Apr 17, 2008
- Protest against Indian Railways over elephant deaths on tracks - Oct 23, 2008
- Two elephants killed by train in Odisha, driver held - Aug 16, 2012
- "People For Animals" stop trains to protest against animals' killings in Dooars forest region - Jun 05, 2010
- Maharashtra mourns Jagjit Singh's death - Oct 10, 2011
- Theme based Christmas cakes herald social messages in Siliguri - Dec 23, 2010
- NGO concerned over elephant deaths on railway tracks - Sep 15, 2010
- Railways not responsible for elephant deaths: Mamata - Nov 16, 2010
- Lack of innocence in Hindi films worries Juhi (Movie Snippets) - Jul 19, 2012
- Ban elephants in circus, says PETA - Sep 17, 2012
- Elephants tortured, Carlsberg withdraws match sponsorship - Aug 17, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee expresses anguish over death of elephants in West Bengal - Sep 24, 2010