Lalu provides further financial aid for Bihar flood victimsFebruary 27th, 2009 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 27 (IANS) Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Friday gave Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar over Rs.40 crore (Rs.400 million) for the assistance of the Kosi flood victims in the state.
Apart from Rs.386 million from the Railway Minister’s Relief Fund (RMRF), Lalu Prasad, who heads the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), provided Rs.20 million on behalf of his party.
This was the second time Lalu Prasad has provided financial assistance for the flood victims in Bihar. In September last year, he had announced assistance of Rs.900 million from the RMRF.
The railway minister handed over the funds to the chief minister at his official chamber here.
“We promised to provide assistance soon after the flood hit Bihar, now we have fulfilled it,” Lalu Prasad said.
A smiling Nitish Kumar, who described Lalu Prasad as his elder brother, thanked him for the assistance. “I am thankful to him and the railways,” Kumar said.
At least three million people were rendered homeless in Purnia, Araria, Supaul, Madhepura and Saharsa districts of the state when the Kosi river breached its bank upstream in Nepal and changed course Aug 18, 2008, flooding large tracts of land and forcing people to flee their homes.
The homeless were then forced to live along the roads under the open sky without food, clothes and drinking water or in the relief camps set up by the state government.
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Bihar elections proceed peacefully (Second Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- 54 percent peaceful polling in Bihar first phase (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2010
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Bihar elections begin amid tight security (Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Storm victims in Bihar await relief, toll reaches 72 - Apr 15, 2010
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- 52 percent polling in Bihar's peaceful first phase (Fourth Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011