Lalu Prasad gives compensation to victims of police firingSeptember 5th, 2011 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 5 (IANS) Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad Monday met victims of police firing in Bihar’s Araria district in which four people were killed and nine injured nearly three months ago and handed over compensation of Rs.1 lakh to the families of each of the dead.
The compensation move is apparently aimed at embarrassing his political rivals and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar as the state government has not announced any compensation to victims of the police firing so far.
The former chief minister visited Bhajanpura village near Forbesganj in Araria, about 350 km from here, where the police had fired on villagers protesting an upcoming factory on June 3.
Lalu Prasad, who is on a ‘justice march’, also handed over Rs.10,000 to those injured in the police firing on behalf of his party.
Four people, including a pregnant woman and a six-month-old baby, were killed while nine others were injured.
“It is unfortunate that till date the NDA government led by Nitish Kumar failed to provide a compensation to the victims despite repeated demands by them and others. This has exposed Nitish Kumar’s double face,? Lalu Prasad said.
“It is nothing but politics played by Nitish Kumar to keep his ally BJP happy as all the victims belong to poor Muslim families,” he said.
Hundreds of RJD leaders and workers across the state joined Lalu Prasad in Forbesganj in a show of strength.
Nitish Kumar has already ordered a judicial probe into the incident after a hue and cry by the opposition and civil society bodies.
A judicial commission headed by retired high court judge Madhavendra Sharan is probing the circumstances that led to the firing.
The National Commission for Minorities (NCM) chairman Wajahat Habibullah, after visiting the site, had described the deaths as a ?national loss? and said the police firing was ?totally unjustified?.
- Rahul Gandhi meets victims of Bihar police firing - Jul 01, 2011
- JD-U rebels seek compensation for police firing victims - Jun 23, 2011
- Forbesganj firing: Senior Bihar cop in dock - Jul 09, 2011
- Judicial panel to probe Bihar firing - Jun 23, 2011
- Bihar Deputy CM in trouble over police firing - Jun 10, 2011
- Protest against Bihar police firing - Jun 13, 2011
- Muslim bodies demand action against Bihar cops - Jun 12, 2011
- NHRC begins probe into Bihar police firing - Jul 21, 2011
- Probe begins into Bihar police firing deaths - Jun 04, 2011
- Opposition blames Nitish for police firing deaths (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Opposition attacks Nitish over police firing deaths - Jun 06, 2011
- Wajahat Habibullah assumes charge as NCM chairperson - Feb 03, 2011
- Wajahat Habibullah to head National Commission for Minorities - Feb 03, 2011
- Rs.7 million released for Muslim youths wrongly held - Dec 07, 2011
- Arrest warrants issued against Nirmal Baba - May 19, 2012
Tags: chief minister, court judge, double face, habibullah, hue and cry, judicial commission, judicial probe, june 3, lakh, lalu prasad, minorities, month old baby, muslim families, nda government, political rivals, pregnant woman, rs 1, sharan, show of strength, state government