Lalu opposes bureaucrats as election commissionersFebruary 1st, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 1 (IANS) Railways Minister Lalu Prasad Sunday said that he did not favour appointment of retired bureaucrats as election commissioners. “Retired bureaucrats should not be appointed as election commissioners. I am against it,” Lalu Prasad told reporters here.
An ugly row erupted inthe Election Commission Saturday ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, with Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) N. Gopalaswami recommending the removal of Election Commissioner Navin Chawla on grounds that he was partisan. Chawla refused to step down as Election Commisisoner.
“We will not allow appointment of retired bureaucrats in future and if we return to power, we will change this trend,” Lalun Prasad said.
He, however, rejected the Bharatiya Janata Party’s demand for immediate removal of Chawla from the poll panel.
“Only a full bench of the Supreme Court has the power to remove (an) election commissioner or he can be impeached,” Lalu said.
“The election commissioner is a constitutional post and there are established rules and regulations for it,” Lalu said.
Chawla is tipped to succeed Gopalaswami as CEC, being the senior of the other two commissioners.
- Poll chief seeks parity in removal process of commissioners - Jan 27, 2010
- Why should I resign, asks Election Commissioner Navin Chawla - Jan 31, 2009
- Gopalaswami wants him out, Chawla not to quit (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Chawla biased, CEC's word enough to remove him: BJP (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- CEC Gopalaswami wants him out, Chawla digs in (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2009
- UPA violating constitution, dictating terms to EC: BJP - Feb 03, 2009
- I won't resign, asserts Chawla (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Naveen Chawla to replace Gopalaswami as CEC - Mar 04, 2009
- I wont resign: Navin Chawla - Jan 31, 2009
- Navin Chawla takes over CEC - Apr 21, 2009
- 'CEC had told Chawla a year ago that he should be removed' - Feb 01, 2009
- 'Reforms in poll panel needed for better functioning' - Mar 15, 2011
- Government 'seized' of CEC plea to sack Chawla: Congress - Jan 31, 2009
- S Y Quraishi assumes charge as 17th CEC - Jul 30, 2010
- Navin Chawla new Chief Election Commissioner of India - Apr 20, 2009