Lalu attacks Nitish over Modi handshake (Lead)May 6th, 2012 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Patna/New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) A day after Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar warmly greeted his Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi at a meeting in New Delhi, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Sunday attacked the former for “betraying his people”.
Prasad told reporters in Patna that protests by Nitish Kumar about the publication of his photograph with Modi during the 2010 BJP national executive were aimed at fooling the minorities, with an eye on their votes in the assembly polls.
“It is nothing but a political drama. Nitish Kumar is betraying people over his stand against Modi,” Prasad said.
Prasad said it was Nitish Kumar’s strategy to keep distance from Modi to maintain a secular image.
“But the fact is that he and Modi enjoy a good relationship as was evident when a smiling Nitish Kumar met Modi and shook his hand like an old friend (at a meeting of chief ministers) in Delhi.”
Nitish Kumar, however, hit back saying that Prasad would only criticise. “What else can he do,” Nitish Kumar said to questions about his criticism by Prasad.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) too slammed Prasad, saying that party leader Modi and Nitish Kumar did not do their politics after consulting the RJD leader.
BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that neither Nitish Kumar nor Modi do their politics with Prasad’s consent.
“He should end his misconception. Both states (Gujarat and Bihar) are symbols of good governance,” Naqvi said.
Nitish Kumar had signalled his opposition to Modi coming to Bihar for campaigning in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls and the 2010 Bihar assembly polls.
He had even returned the flood relief fund Gujarat gave to Bihar in 2008.
- Nitish close to Modi, says Lalu - May 06, 2012
- RJD hits out at Nitish for Modi handshake - May 05, 2012
- Leave BJP, Lalu tells Nitish - Aug 16, 2012
- Lalu to march to Bihar's villages 'to expose' Nitish - May 14, 2012
- Lalu plans protest against Bihar government - May 28, 2012
- BJP, JD-U widening rift threatens Bihar alliance (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2010
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Lalu dares Nitish, Modi to contest against Rabri - Oct 05, 2010
- Political war gets personal in poll-bound Bihar - Oct 10, 2010
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Few takers for Sushil Modi's claim that Nitish PM material - Sep 03, 2012
- Nitish, Rabri Devi file nominations - Apr 11, 2012
- Nitish Kumar rules out contesting assembly polls - Jan 20, 2012
- Tension between BJP, JD-U 'a drama': Lalu Prasad - Jun 20, 2010
- Nitish 'tsunami' sweeps Bihar, wipes out Lalu, Congress (Intro Roundup) - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, campaigning, chief minister, chief ministers, flood relief, good governance, good relationship, gujarat, handshake, lalu prasad, lok sabha polls, misconception, mukhtar, naqvi, national executive, old friend, party leader, political drama, rjd