Lalu announces damages for Coromandel Express crash victimsFebruary 16th, 2009 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) Railways Minister Lalu Prasad Monday announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs.500,000 to the next of kin of those killed in the Orissa train derailment and employment to one of their dependents.
“I have ordered payment of ex-gratia of Rs.500,000 to the next of kin of each deceased, Rs.50,000 to grievously injured and Rs.10,000 to simple injured… One dependent of each of the deceased will also be given employment in the Railways,” Lalu said just after the interim budget speech of External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the Lok Sabha.
In the Coromandel Express mishap Friday, nine passengers were killed when the train derailed at Jajpur-Keonjhar Road station in Orissa. Five passengers were grievously injured while 121 passengers suffered minor injuries.
Lalu Prasad said the stipulated compensation up to Rs.400,000 to the injured and to the next of the kin of those dead will be payable in addition to the ex-gratia amount.
“Statutory inquiry into the above accident shall be conducted by the Commissioner of Railway Safety,” he said.
- Jharkhand train accident: Six railway staff suspended - Jan 11, 2012
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Apex court issues notice in 2004 Tamil Nadu school fire case - Feb 04, 2011
- PM condoles Sivakasi fire victims - Sep 05, 2012
- One dead in Bengal train collision, Railways announce compensation (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- PM grieves loss of lives in train accident - May 28, 2010
- Assam boat tragedy victims' kin to get Rs.1.5 lakh each - May 01, 2012
- Five killed in Punjab factory blast - Sep 12, 2012
- Mamata announces Rs.5 lakh compensation for families of dead - May 28, 2010
- 16 die in Uttar Pradesh bus tragedy (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Kashmir unrest: Omar Abdullah sanctions Rs 5 crore for 102 killed - Mar 15, 2011
- Railway Minister announces Rs. 2 lakh as ex-gratia to kin of train-auto accident in Bihar - Oct 09, 2010
- Move products by rail: Court to oil firms - Sep 20, 2012
- Railway Minister announces Rs. 2 lakh as ex-gratia to kin of train-auto accident victim in Bihar - Oct 09, 2010