Lakhs witness deities’ bathing ritual in PuriJune 15th, 2011 - 12:55 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 15 (IANS) Over 200,000 devotees from various parts of the country converged in Orissa’s temple town of Puri Wednesday and witnessed the bathing ritual of three deities that precedes the famous chariot festival or Rath Yatra, an official said.
The deities — Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra — were taken out of the sanctum sanctorum of the 12th century Jagannath temple in a ceremonial procession to the snana mandap - a bathing platform inside the temple complex.
As part of the ritual, the deities were bathed with 108 pitchers of aromatic water drawn out from a temple well known as the golden well.
“The bathing ritual started at 8.05 a.m. and ended within 20 minutes,” Laxmidhar Pujapanda, the temple’s public relations officer, told IANS.
“More then two lakh devotees witnessed the event, despite rains lashing the city, he said.
The Rath Yatra is the grand culmination of a series of celebrations involving the deities. This year, the festival will be held July 3-11.
The festival marks the annual journey of the three deities from the Jagannath temple, 56 km from here, in three separate decorated wooden chariots to another temple about two km away.
The deities return to their abode in the same splendidly decorated chariots which thousands of devotees pull with the help of ropes. The festival is known as Bahuda Yatra.
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Puri sees bath festival - Jun 26, 2010
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath return festival - Jul 21, 2010
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- Thousands of devotees take part in bathing festival of deities at Puri's Jagannath temple - Jun 26, 2010
- Woman dies in stampede during Jagannath Rath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Security in place for Puri's Jagannath return festival - Jul 20, 2010
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath Rath Yatra - Jul 13, 2010
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: 12th century, abode, aromatic water, bhubaneswar, ceremonial procession, chariot, chariots, culmination, deities, devotees, elder brother, lakh, orissa, pitchers, puri, rath yatra, ropes, sanctum sanctorum, subhadra, temple town