Lakhs join Hazare, target politicians onlineAugust 19th, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) Mass support for social activist Anna Hazare in real world has had a cascading effect on the virtual world too as a popular online game, which supports the Gandhian’s anti-corruption crusade, is recording an unprecedented rise in the number of players.
“Yes Prime Minister”, developed by Ibibo.com offers its players to become India’s prime minister virtually and support Hazare’s anti-corruption movement while punishing corrupt minister and bureaucrats.
“The game was launched in April 2011 and it clashed with Hazare’s agitation at Jantar Mantar back then. So, it became an instant hit and over one lakh players registered in just five days,” said Rahul Razdan, president (products & operations), Ibibo.
“The agitation has generated similar buzz this time as more than 50,000 new users have joined in the last few days,” he added.
According to Ibibo.com, the game currently has around 3.5 lakh registered players and the numbers are increasing.
“The players can vent their anger at the corrupt politicians by throwing slippers or rotten tomatoes at them or making them ride a donkey etc.,” said Razdan. “The game recently added the ‘Kanhee Mozi’ (referring to jailed DMK Rajya Sabha member Kanimozhi) character too.”
Taking a dig at infamous politicians accused or convicted in corruption cases, players can punish “Seela Dikhsit”, “Yedduappa”, “Kalmaddy”, “Rajah”, “Shared Power” and the recent addition of “Kanhee Mozi” and others.
“The theme of the game is to build your India by taking control of various ministries. If projects are left unguarded, corruption creeps in and your online friends can help you by volunteering as vigilance commissioners,” said Razdan.
- Punish the corrupt - virtually! - Apr 24, 2011
- Vidya's 'Kahaani' hit among online gamers - Mar 20, 2012
- Women gamers thrash dowry-seekers online - Mar 21, 2012
- Thank Kalmadi and Raja, not Anna: Jaspal Bhatti - Aug 29, 2011
- Dhoni's family comes out in Hazare's support - Aug 17, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Hazare to fast to protest crackdown against Ramdev - Jun 05, 2011
- Anna Hazare can go wherever he feels like: Salman Khurshid - Apr 27, 2011
- Congress' young MPs set for bigger role - Aug 29, 2011
- Joy over Hazare's victory in Maharashtra - Apr 09, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Cricket games cash in on World Cup fever - Feb 20, 2011
- Delhi not an option for agitation: Kiran Bedi - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: agitation, anna hazare, bureaucrats, corrupt politicians, corruption cases, dmk, gandhian, lakh, mantar, mass support, online game, products operations, rajah, rotten tomatoes, sabha member, target, unprecedented rise, vigilance, virtual world, yes prime minister