Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath return festivalJuly 21st, 2010 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Puri (Orissa), July 21 (IANS) Mindless of the sweltering heat, over six lakh devotees converged in this temple town for the Bahuda Yatra or homecoming festival of the Hindu god Jagannath and two other deities Wednesday.
“Despite adverse weather, more than six lakh devotees arrived by 11 a.m. More people are likely to arrive by evening,” Laxmidhar Pujapanda, the temple’s public relation officer, told IANS.
“Most of the rituals were performed at least two hours ahead of the schedule today (Wednesday) despite the adverse weather conditions,” he added.
The Bahuda Yatra marks the return of Lord Jagannath, brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra from the Gundicha temple to the main Jagannath temple, both in Puri.
The return festival is held nine days after the annual Rath Yatra, which marks the journey of the three deities from the 12th century Jagannath temple in three splendidly decorated wooden chariots to Gundicha temple, about two kilometres away.
The deities return to their abode in the same splendidly decorated chariots, which thousands of devotees pull with the help of ropes during the Bahuda Yatra.
“Elaborate security measures have been put in place in the city to prevent any untoward incident. More then 5,000 policemen have been deployed. Besides, large numbers of policemen have been deployed to manage traffic,” a police officer said.
The city, 56 km from Bhubaneswar, has been witnessing scorching heat conditions for the past few days.
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Security in place for Puri's Jagannath return festival - Jul 20, 2010
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012
- Woman dies in stampede during Jagannath Rath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath Rath Yatra - Jul 13, 2010
- Million devotees brave scorching heat for Puri chariot festival (Lead) (With Image) - Jun 24, 2009
- Devotees brave scorching heat for Puri chariot festival (With Image) - Jun 24, 2009
Tags: 12th century, adverse weather conditions, bhubaneswar, chariots, deities, devotees, heat conditions, hindu god, homecoming festival, jagannath temple, lakh, lord jagannath, public relation officer, puri orissa, rath yatra, security measures, subhadra, sweltering heat, temple town, untoward incident