Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath Rath YatraJuly 13th, 2010 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Puri (Orissa), July 13 (IANS) Lakhs of devotees and tourists thronged this temple town Tuesday for the annual Rath Yatra (chariot festival) of the Hindu god Jagannath, his brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra.
The ceremonial processions of the deities known as Pahandi (carrying the deities out of the temple to the chariots) started at 8.20 a.m., about an hour before the scheduled time, Laxmidhar Pujapanda, the temple’s public relation officer, told IANS.
The Rath Yatra marks the annual journey of the three deities from the 12th century Jagannath temple in three splendidly decorated wooden chariots, pulled by devotees, to the Gundecha temple, about two kilometres away. The festival culminates nine days later when the deities make their way back home to the Jagannath temple.
By 9 a.m. about four lakh devotees had already reached this temple town, about 55 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar. By evening, the numbers could swell to more than a million, Pujapanda said.
The nine-day chariot festival is held in the Hindu lunar month of Asadha, which falls in June-July.
The state government has made elaborate security arrangements with more than 5,000 policemen deployed across the city to maintain law and order and prevent any untoward incident, a senior state police official involved in the security arrangement told IANS.
Hundreds of policemen in plainclothes are also on duty.
More than a dozen closed circuit security cameras have been installed at various places to keep a watch on troublemakers and manage crowds, the official said.
Bomb detection and disposal squads and fire tender units are also ready to meet emergencies. The coast guard, which has stationed a ship in the Bay of Bengal close to the Puri coast, has also intensified patrolling along the sea route, he said.
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- Woman dies in stampede during Jagannath Rath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath return festival - Jul 21, 2010
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Security in place for Puri's Jagannath return festival - Jul 20, 2010
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012
- Security up in Puri ahead of Rath Yatra - Jul 12, 2010
- Rath Yatra celebrated with fervour in Ahmedabad (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: asadha, bay of bengal, bhubaneswar, bomb detection, ceremonial processions, circuit security, deities, fire tender, hindu god, lunar month, public relation officer, puri orissa, rath yatra puri, sea route, security arrangement, security arrangements, security cameras, state police official, temple town, untoward incident