Lajpat Nagar blast: Police seek death for threeSeptember 21st, 2011 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) Delhi Police Wednesday urged the Delhi High Court to confirm the death penalties awarded by the trial court to three militants for the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast that killed 13 people.
Delhi Police counsel Pawan Sharma told the division bench of Justice S. Ravindra Bhat and Justice G.P. Mittal that the trial court had rightly convicted and awarded capital punishment to the three Jammu Kashmir Islamic Front (JKIF) militants.
“They carried out the blast just to create terror,” counsel said.
Sharma sought confirmation of the death sentence awarded to the three as there was ample evidence to prove their involvement in the terror act.
Documents seized from the accused after the blast showed their involvement in the terrorist attack, he said earlier.
“The witnesses’ statements also prove that all the accused were involved in the blast. The trial court has pronounced its judgment rightly. So, their appeal should be dismissed,” said Sharma.
The court was hearing the appeals of the six convicted, of whom three are on death row, for the blast in the crowded market.
The trial court in its 2010 verdict had termed the crime as a “dastardly act” that fell under the “rarest of rare” category.
Of the six convicts, Mohammed Naushad, Mohammed Ali Bhatt and Mirza Nissar Hussain were awarded death penalty. Javed Ahmed Khan, held guilty of murder, conspiracy and attempt to murder, was given life imprisonment.
Farooq Ahmed Khan and Farida Dar, held guilty under milder penal provisions, were sentenced to seven years’ jail term. However, they were released as they had already spent much more time than that in prison.
Ten people were arrested and put on trial. Besides these six, the others were Mirza Iftikhar, Latif Ahmed Waza, Syed Maqbool Shah, and Abdul Gani.
- Lajpat Nagar blast: High court reserves order on pleas - Oct 12, 2011
- Enough proof against Lajpat Nagar blast accused: Police (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
- Lajpat Nagar blast case: Two convicts may walk free - Apr 22, 2010
- Sentencing of Lajpat Nagar blast convicts tomorrow - Apr 21, 2010
- Three sent to gallows for Lajpat Nagar Blast (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Gallows for three in Lajpat Nagar bombing (Third Lead, superseding earlier story) - Apr 22, 2010
- Three get death for 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Six convicted, four acquitted in Lajpat Nagar bomb blast case (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Six convicted for 1996 Lajpat Nagar bomb blast (Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Kashmir observes shutdown in protest against conviction of six Kashmiris - Apr 13, 2010
- Lajpat Nagar blast sentencing deferred to April 22 - Apr 17, 2010
- Six convicted for role in 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast - Apr 08, 2010
- APHC protests death sentence to Kashmiris in 1996 bomb blast case - Apr 24, 2010
- Why not death to you, apex court asks Hawara - Dec 05, 2011
- Separatists call for shutdown over death penalty to militants - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: ahmed khan, ample evidence, bhat, dastardly act, death penalties, delhi high court, delhi police, division bench, gani, jail term, jammu kashmir, life imprisonment, mittal, mohammed ali, murder conspiracy, naushad, pawan sharma, penal provisions, rare category, ravindra