Lahiri best among Indians at Final Q-School golf tourneyJanuary 14th, 2009 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Rayong (Thailand), Jan 14 (IANS) Anirban Lahiri brought in an one-under 72 in the first round of the final stage of the Asian Tour’s Qualifying School golf presented by Sports Authority of Thailand.He was placed 23rd and was four shots behind the leader, Scotsman Ross Bain, who blasted a five-under-par 68 here Tuesday.
Among other Indians, Rahil Gangjee, a regular for last four years, but who missed out on his card in 2008, shot an even par 73 as did Firoz Ali and C. Muniyappa. They were tied at 36th.
Karanjit Singh was tied 63rd at 74, while Amandeep Johl and Harmeet Kahlon shot 75 each in tied 85th. Other Indians Sujjan Singh (76), Vikrant Chopra (77), Himmat Rai (77), Manav Jaini (78), Ajeetesh Sandhu (78), Gurbaaz Mann (81), Ashok Kumar (79) and Chiragh Kumar (83) were way behind.
Bain, who resides in Dubai, took a one stroke lead over the field after nailing an eagle, four birdies against a lone bogey at the par-73 St Andrews 2000 course.
The final stage is played over five rounds where the first two rounds will be staged at the par-73 St. Andrews 2000 and par-72 Rayong Green Valley Country Club. The final three rounds will be held at St. Andrews 2000.
Local golfer Pijit Petchkasem, who celebrated his 22nd birthday, recorded a 69 to lie in lone second place while American Clay Devers, England’s Yasin Ali, Australia’s Matthew Griffin, Colombian Eduardo Herrera and Sweden’s Lars Johansson were among those in the mix in tied third spot after firing matching 70s.
- Gangjee, Kapur share lead at Kensville Challenge Golf - Jan 27, 2012
- Muniyappa, Lahiri in with a chance of qualifying for Asian Tour - Jan 17, 2009
- Ajeetesh, Jaini finish third and fourth at Sail Open golf - Mar 25, 2011
- Baisoya overall leader in Asia Pacific Junior Golf, team second - Aug 04, 2011
- Bhullar finishes tied 20th in Indonesia - Apr 24, 2011
- Jaini, Bhullar, Das chase Siddikur at Panasonic Open - Mar 30, 2012
- Bhullar, Sujjan make cut in Indonesian Masters - Apr 22, 2011
- Jeetesh and Jaini lead Indian charge at SAIL Open golf - Mar 24, 2011
- Lahiri slips to 8th, four Indians make cut at Queen's Cup golf - Jun 17, 2011
- India's Sharmila one round away from Ladies European Tour card - Jan 19, 2012
- Smriti fires 66 to win golf title - Aug 30, 2012
- Lahiri, Muniyappa close to 2009 Asian Tour card - Jan 15, 2009
- Third-placed India stay in hunt for medal at Nomura Cup - Aug 18, 2011
- Modest day for Indian golfers at Ballantine Championship - Apr 28, 2011
- Westwood triumphs at Thailand golf, Jeev finishes tied seventh - Dec 18, 2011