Lack of strong script delaying third ‘Munna Bhai’: HiraniApril 2nd, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 2 (IANS) Director Rajkumar Hirani, who has delivered superhits like “Munnabhai M.B.B.S.”, “Lage Raho Munna Bhai”, says the third film in the series has been delayed by the lack of a strong script.
“We have always wanted to make the third film but it is getting delayed because it shouldn’t look like we are making it only to encash it,” said Hirani.
The third instalment was named “Munna Bhai Chale Amerika”, but it was shelved. Now the new movie in the franchise is said to be called “Munna Bhai Ki Aatma Katha”.
“We want the third to be better than the previous two. So, it is getting delayed because script-wise it still needs to be strong…but we will definitely make the third film,” the 49-year-old said.
He spoke on the sidelines of a festival to celebrate producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s three decades in the film industry.
Hirani confirms that actors Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi, who played Munna and Circuit in the earlier two films respectively, will continue playing the primary characters.
“Sanju is Munnabhai, I can’t imagine anybody else as Munnabhai. Sanju and Arshad as Munna, Circuit,” he said.
Sanjay says being a part of “Munna Bhai” changed his life for good.
“From my career, my daily life to my image, everything has changed because of ‘Munna Bhai’, it’s so important,” the 52-year-old said here at the event.
“It is a memorable film, a memorable role. Actors very rarely get a chance to do such a role and I think I am lucky,” he added.
In the 2003 film “Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.”, Sanjay played a faux medical student, who has a different, endearing way of treating people.
In the second film “Lage Raho Munna Bhai”, he played a faux professor, and the movie became popular for Sanjay’s ‘Gandhigiri’ — his practice of using non-violent methods to solve people’s personal problems.
Sanjay is currently shooting for “Race 2″, “Zilla Ghaziabad”, “S.O.S.- Son of Sardar” and “Department.”
- Munnabhai part three begins next year: Arshad Warsi - Jul 03, 2009
- Hirani, Chopra hat-trick at national awards with '3 Idiots' - Sep 15, 2010
- I will love to work with Aamir Khan-Kareena Kapoor again- Rajkumar Hirani - Dec 19, 2009
- Munnabhai To Return Next Year - Jul 29, 2010
- Producer's job toughest: Jimmy Sheirgill - May 01, 2012
- I hate producing films: Vidhu Vinod Chopra - Apr 05, 2012
- I'd like to direct a movie: Boman Irani - Aug 24, 2012
- Vidhu's best yet to come: Anil Kapoor - Mar 30, 2012
- My directorial debut will be quirky comedy: Arshad Warsi (With Images) - Mar 31, 2010
- I would love to be Munnabhai again -Sanjay Dutt - Dec 10, 2009
- Arshad Warsi finds sequels risky, but excited about 'Ishqiya 2' - May 26, 2011
- Arshad skips IIFA for 'Zara Nachke Dikha' (Film Snippets) - Jun 03, 2010
- Warsi gets dose of Gandhigiri for smoking in public - May 08, 2010
- 'Idiots' means 'I do it on my terms': Hirani - Nov 22, 2009
- Bollywood is changing big time: Jimmy Shergill - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: aatma, arshad warsi, film industry, instalment, lage raho munna, lage raho munna bhai, medical student, memorable film, memorable role, mumbai, personal problems, rajkumar hirani, sanjay dutt, sardar, sidelines, three decades, two films, vinod chopra, violent methods, zilla