Labourers unearth gold coins in Maharashtra schoolNovember 8th, 2008 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Nov 8 (IANS) Labourers digging at a school campus in Maharashtra stumbled upon a minor treasure — a cache of 847 gold coins of an unknown period, bearing inscriptions in Greek and Urdu, and worth roughly Rs.4.2 million, the police said Saturday. The labourers tried to keep secret their find but were apprehended.
The treasure trove weighs 2.47 kg and is worth about Rs.4.20 million, an investigating officer told IANS.
The gold coins were recovered Friday when some labourers were digging to construct a new swimming pool on the campus of the Gadgil Municipal High School at Shaniwarpeth in Pune.
Three labourers attempted to steal the coins but were later arrested by the police. The entire cache was recovered from the accused.
Shivappa Husanappa Godekar, 40, of Pune, Mallesh Pareshram Nadavikari, 25, of Karnataka and Bhimsha Tirappa Bansode of Sholapur were presented in a city court and released on bail Saturday.
The police have called archaeological and history experts to ascertain the historic origins and the exact value of the gold coins.
- 700 year-old gold coins found in Israel - Jul 09, 2012
- NMDC detects tunnel-like structure under hillock - Mar 05, 2012
- More rare gold coins recovered in Andhra village - Oct 29, 2011
- 52,000 Roman coins discovered in England - Jul 12, 2010
- Ring worth $500,000 recovered from sunken ship - Jun 26, 2011
- Spanish treasure found off Florida - Mar 29, 2011
- UP village labourers find ancient coins while digging up a drain - Mar 11, 2009
- Rare US gold coins found in a garden in London - Oct 19, 2010
- Spanish treasure lands after 200 years - Feb 27, 2012
- Firm asks US court to block handover of treasure to Spain - Feb 07, 2012
- Treasure hunter finds $3bn-worth platinum in shipwreck - Feb 02, 2012
- Did Libya witness biggest theft in archaeological history? - Oct 31, 2011
- Silver coins from Raj days unearthed in Tripura - Aug 15, 2011
- Man hides 140,000 pounds in aunt's grave - Jul 26, 2010
- Divorced woman moves court against passport office - Aug 08, 2012