Labour strike hits Kerala house boat industrySeptember 7th, 2008 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Alappuzha (Kerala) Sep 7 (IANS) A flash strike by nearly 1,500 Left-backed employees here, demanding higher pay, has left the money-spinning houseboat industry crippled since Saturday. The strike was called by the Houseboat and Resort Employees Union, part of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-backed Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), after two rounds of talks with the houseboat owners failed.
Alappuzha, a famous tourist destination in the state, is home to more than 400 houseboats and has an average daily business of Rs.2.5 million during the peak season.
Alappuzha attracts most number of tourists during monsoon season, particularly in the Onam week.
Tomy Pulikattil, owner of a dozen houseboats, told IANS that the owners were prepared for a 30 percent hike in monthly salary and a 20 percent hike in daily allowance for the employees.
“But they wanted a salary hike from Rs.2,500 to Rs.4,000 and a daily allowance increase from Rs.100 to Rs.200. The last time their salaries were hiked was two years back. Their demands are extremely high and we just cannot afford that,” Pulikattil said.
However, the working president of the trade union Aslam told IANS that the employees were ready to scale down their salary demand from Rs.4,000 to Rs.3,500, and a daily allowance to Rs.120.
“One section of the houseboat owners have already agreed our demands. We expect to find a solution when the Alappuzha district collector is meeting both parties tomorrow (Monday),” Aslam added.
- Houseboat business struggles to stay afloat (Kerala Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Two houseboats go up in flames - Aug 30, 2012
- Nehru Boat Race to herald Kerala's new tourist season - Aug 04, 2012
- Kerala immersed in Onam festivities - Sep 09, 2011
- Planning to holiday in Kerala? It's almost houseful! - Dec 07, 2010
- Floating protest: Kashmir houseboat owners cry foul (With Images) - Mar 19, 2012
- All charged up for Kerala's snake boat race - Aug 03, 2011
- Australian students on holiday with a missionary streak - Jul 04, 2009
- CITU calls 24-hour Bengal transport strike, Mamata fumes (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Nehru Boat Race enthralls thousands - Aug 11, 2012
- Diwali bonus for 40,000 Mumbai civic workers - Oct 26, 2011
- Bengal questions staff for absence on strike day - Mar 07, 2012
- CITU calls off July 31 transport strike - Jul 29, 2012
- Thousands gather to watch Kerala's Nehru Boat Race - Aug 13, 2011
- Mumbai civic workers call off strike - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: alappuzha district, allowance increase, boat industry, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, flash strike, houseboat owners, indian trade unions, monsoon season, salary hike