Kuwait parliament to hold emergency session on foreign workersSeptember 4th, 2008 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Sep 4 (IANS) Kuwait’s parliament will hold an emergency session Sep 10 to discuss the issue of foreign workers in that country. There are around 550,000 expatriate Indians in Kuwait.Parliament Speaker Jassim Al Kharafi told the official Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) that several lawmakers had requested him to call the emergency session in view of a spate of strikes by foreign workers in recent times.
He said that steps would be taken Thursday to hold the session, and added that the government would be informed and invitations sent to the members of parliament.
According to the KUNA report, at least 35 members of parliament had Wednesday presented a request for an emergency session to review the foreign workers’ strikes.
The 50-member parliament is currently on its annual summer recess.
In their request, the lawmakers expressed fears that the strikes would be repeated, noting that the causes that led to the protests remained and radical solutions were necessary.
That Gulf city-state had seen a spate of violent strikes by foreign workers, especially Bangladeshis, demanding higher salaries in the last couple of months and crackdowns by authorities. A large number of Bangladeshi workers were also deported.
- Kuwait parliament okays independent body on foreign labour - Sep 11, 2008
- Kuwait prince calls for protection of expat workers' rights - Aug 05, 2008
- Bangladesh's manpower export drops by 21 percent - Dec 29, 2010
- 3,590 Indians in Kuwait made use of amnesty scheme - Oct 16, 2008
- Over 2,800 Indians apply for Kuwait amnesty scheme - Sep 23, 2008
- Kuwait's deputy PM quits - Oct 19, 2011
- After ITC venture, Manipal plans exit from Nepal - Sep 16, 2011
- UN Human Rights Council to discuss Syria - May 31, 2012
- Over 3,400 Indians use Kuwait amnesty scheme - Oct 08, 2008
- Suu Kyi's party to attend parliament for first time - Apr 30, 2012
- Emergency Arab League meet on Syria - Nov 06, 2011
- Bangladesh encourages inward remittances with new banks - Apr 04, 2012
- CBI gets list of Mujibur Rahman's killers - Mar 13, 2012
- Manipur pushes back 60 suspected Bangladeshis - Sep 02, 2012
- Bangladesh for common stance on Asian migrant workers - Oct 18, 2010