Kuwait interest rate cut hailedOctober 9th, 2008 - 11:09 am ICT by IANS
Dubai, Oct 9 (IANS) A decision by Kuwait’s central bank to cut interest rates has been hailed by the bankers and financial analysts as a step in the right direction.The Central Bank of Kuwait (CBK) cut interest rates by 125 basis points Wednesday in the face of deteriorating state of the local financial market caused by the global financial crisis.
The benchmark discount rate is down to 4.5 percent from 5.75 percent and the repo rate has fallen to 2.5 percent from 3.5 percent.
Kuwait International Bank chairman Abdulwahab Al-Wazzan told the state-run Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) that the plan was a well thought one and would benefit the banking system in Kuwait, making it easier to lend money and provide credit and deposits.
“The CBK wants to reduce the burden of inflation and consumer loans,” he said.
He, however, stressed that Kuwaiti banks were in extremely good shape and that there was no case for worry, and stated the step was taken to reinforce remaining procedures that maintain credit and financial stability in the country.
Kuwait’s former minister for planning Ali Al-Moussa also hailed the decision as a good one, but called for further steps.
“The state of the Kuwaiti market has become extremely difficult and people are waiting for many more measures to be taken by more than one body,” he said.
Head of Kuwait Economic Society Rola Dashti, called for a further cut to benefit the country.
She also demanded more strict financial policies and a liquidity of at least two billion Kuwaiti dinars ($7.5 billion) from government institutions, to “solve the crisis and protect the savings of the people of Kuwait”.
The Kuwait stock market is at a 12-month low but the index is still the best in the Gulf countries.
Year to date, the Kuwait exchange fell by 12 percent compared to its counterparts in Saudi Arabia and Dubai which fell by over 40 percent.
- Kenya's central bank cuts benchmark rate - Jul 06, 2012
- Look, we're strong and stable: Kuwaiti banks - Oct 14, 2008
- Kenya's apex bank cuts benchmark lending rate - Sep 06, 2012
- Kuwait banking forum reaffirms banks' lending commitments - Oct 14, 2008
- Kuwait elects its first women parliamentarians - May 17, 2009
- CRR reduction will help ease liquidity problems: India Inc. - Jan 24, 2012
- Kuwait Airways lost $275 mn in 2010 - Jun 21, 2011
- Brazil's central bank cautious over fresh interest cut - Jul 20, 2012
- More Islamic finance firms in Kuwait than conventional ones - Sep 25, 2008
- Brazil cuts basic interest rate to record low - Jul 12, 2012
- Gulf markets continue gains, but Kuwait bucks trend again (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2008
- Fitch downgrades Spain's four largest banks - Feb 14, 2012
- Rs.17,000 crore released into banking system; retail interest rates expected to fall (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Indian economy will grow 7-7.5 percent in 2011-12: PM - Feb 03, 2012