Kutch has Gujarat’s first tsunami/cyclone alert systemJune 21st, 2009 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, June 21 (IANS) The coastal town of Bhadreshwar in Gujarat’s Kutch district has the state’s first tsunami cum cyclone alert system, officials said Sunday.
The tsunami cum cyclone alert system which has been established by the ministry of information technology of the central government has the capability to alert people residing in coastal areas of an impending tsunami or a cyclone through a loud siren an hour before the cyclone or tsunami hits the costal region. The siren is loud enough to be heard in a one kilometre area around the alert system, an official statement issued here said.
The system is also capable of collecting data on prolific fishing areas in the mid sea, which will be useful for the fishermen in the coastal areas.
The data would be seamlessly transmitted to the nearest receiver which would have a large display board in major localities inhabited by fishermen in the Kutch region. The fishing data would be updated once every day.
The ministry is now planning to install the tsunami and cyclone alert systems in Mandvi, Jakhau and Nana Layja regions in Kutch shortly.
- Beach sirens could save lives, say marine scientists - Mar 02, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Tsunami warnings issued for Hawaii, California and Oregon - Mar 11, 2011
- Andhra escapes cyclone fury (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Three Pakistani fishing boats seized off Gujarat coast - Dec 02, 2010
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Weather alerts for farmers reap Rs.500 bn dividend! - Aug 05, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued for Hawaii, tsunami watches for U.S. coastlines - Mar 11, 2011
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat in next few days - Jun 02, 2010
- Gujarat readies for cyclone Phet, squalls hit coastal areas (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat during weekend - Jun 03, 2010