‘Kuselan’ fiasco continues to affect Tamil filmdomNovember 14th, 2008 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 14 (IANS) The debacle of Rajnikant-starrer “Kuselan” at the box office continues to dog the Tamil film industry. A Tamil film exhibitors body Friday decided to boycott two forthcoming films of production houses Pyramid Saimira and Kavithalaya, claiming they had not paid the promised compensation for “Kuselan”. The Tamil Nadu Exhibitors’ Association has directed its members to boycott the films of the production houses, its president Annamalai told reporters.
The films to be affected are Arjun-starrer “Thiruvannamalai”, produced by Kavithalaya, (whose Friday release was shelved) and Pyramid Saimira’s “Naan Kadavul”.
“Both Pyramid Saimira and Kavithalaya had over-sold ‘Kuselan’ and promised compensation to exhibitors. Now that they have washed their hands off, our members will boycott all their projects till further notice,” Annamalai said.
Saimira, however, denied the charges.
“Those who bought the film directly from us have already been compensated. The present claimants had purchased ‘Kuselan’ from others. If the association continues to damage our reputation, our company will initiate legal action and expose the sordid reality in the industry,” a Saimira statement said.
Sources close to Rajnikant said the star worked for the Tamil version of “Kuselan” on a near pro bono (without money) basis to benefit Kavithalaya. Saimira distributed “Kuselan”.
- Pyramid Saimira agrees to compensate theatres for 'Kuselan' losses - Nov 20, 2008
- Pyramid Saimira says most 'Kuselan' distributors compensated (Lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- Tamil film industry demands 60 percent slash in star fees - Nov 22, 2008
- Exhibitors, distributors to boycott 'Kuselan' producers - Aug 22, 2008
- 'Kuselan' dispute resolved, Rajnikant agrees to pay more - Sep 07, 2008
- Boss Enginra Bhaskaran from tomorrow - Nov 18, 2009
- After disastrous 2008, Tamil film industry keeps fingers crossed - Jan 04, 2009
- Barbers out to nick bruised 'Kuselan' further - Aug 28, 2008
- Rajnikant to compensate Rs.100 mn to 'Kuselan' distributors (Lead) - Aug 19, 2008
- Pyramid Saimira didn't have money to complete 'Marmayogi': Kamal Haasan - Sep 10, 2009
- Will Rajni energise fan clubs after lacklustre 'Kuselan'? - Aug 24, 2008
- Pyramid Saimira slaps lawsuit on Kamal Haasan - Sep 09, 2009
- Pyramid Saimira slaps lawsuit on Kamal Haasan (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 09, 2009
- Prakash Raj, Pooja Win Vijay Awards - May 31, 2010
- 'Passenger' remake has Sathyaraj-Ganesh Venkataram - Nov 10, 2009