Kumble on the WADA athletes’ panelDecember 19th, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 19 (IANS) Former India cricket captain Anil Kumble is on the athletes’ committee of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).Leg-spinner Kumble, third highest Test wicket-taker with 619 wickets, retired last month and he will take over his new assignment from Jan 1.
According to WADA website, Kumble’s nomination was approved at the WADA Foundation Board meeting Nov 23.
One-third of the members of the committee, which plays an advisory role in policy and priority development of WADA, are replaced on a rotational basis annually.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) is a signatory to the WADA Code.
American tennis star Lindsay Davenport and Namibian athlete Frank Fredericks are among the well-known sportspersons nominated to the standing committee that monitors and coordinates the work of the agency’s global fight against doping in sport.
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- SAI official in trouble for allowing banned athletes to train - Mar 26, 2012
- Jamaica defends its anti-doping programme - Aug 18, 2012
- Four cricketers of current Pak squad undergo "dope tests" in England - Sep 16, 2010
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- WADA urges ICC to convince members to accept anti doping clause - May 26, 2010
- Uganda athletes undergo doping test ahead of Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- BOA recommends changes to world anti-doping code - Apr 12, 2012
- B-samples of swimmers, athletes also positive - Sep 08, 2010
- Over 100 athletes got London doping bans: WADA - Jul 26, 2012
- Robust doping control programme in place for Delhi 2010 - Sep 03, 2010
- B-samples of six wrestlers also test positive - Sep 06, 2010
- Anil Kumble pulls out of IPL auction - Jan 04, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011