Kumaraswamy seeks anticipatory bailApril 17th, 2012 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, April 17 (IANS) Former Karnataka chief minister H.D. Kumaraswamy has sought anticipatory bail apprehending arrest over his alleged involvement in an illegal land deal in the state.
He has been charged with illegally freeing from government control over three acres of land in east Bangalore in 2007 while he was chief minister.
Kumaraswamy, now a Janata Dal-Secular MP, is the son of H.D. Deve Gowda, Janata Dal-Secular chief and a former prime minister.
Kumaraswamy sought anticipatory bail from the Karnataka High Court Monday after police attached to the Lokayukta (ombudsman) filed a chargesheet against him, former minister C. Chennigappa and two others — A.V. Raviprakash and A.V. Sriram.
Raviprakash and Sriram, whose land the state government had acquired to form a residential layout, got it freed from official control and sold it to private parties for over Rs.20 million. The amount was several times more than what they would have received from the government.
Justice K.N. Keshavanarayana of the Karnataka High Court Tuesday sought the Lokayukta’s response to Kumaraswamy’s bail plea. He will again take up the matter April 20.
Kumaraswamy, Chennigappa, Raviprakash and Sriram have been charged with cheating, criminal conspiracy and corruption. Chennigappa, who was a minister in Kumaraswamy’s cabinet, is accused of acting as a conduit to get the land freed from government control.
The chargesheet was filed on a private complaint by M.S. Mahadevaswami, a Bangalore resident who had accused Kumaraswamy of misusing his official position as the chief minister to give back the land to Raviprakash and Sriram even though the Bangalore Development Authority had started work on it.
- Another land scam probe against Kumaraswamy - Jan 02, 2012
- Kumaraswamy, wife get anticipatory bail in graft cases - Sep 08, 2011
- Court quashes cases against Kumaraswamy, wife - Oct 21, 2011
- Kumaraswamy asked to appear in trial court Sep 5 - Aug 30, 2011
- Kumaraswamy, wife told to appear in court Sep 7 - Sep 05, 2011
- Yeddyurappa arrest: Congress jubilant, JD-S wary - Oct 15, 2011
- Court summons ex-chief minister Kumaraswamy, wife - Aug 08, 2011
- Three Karnataka ex-CMs named in mining scam FIR - Dec 08, 2011
- Dark Diwali for Karnataka BJP politicos (Karnataka Newsletter) - Oct 19, 2011
- Kumaraswamy calls off fast - Jul 10, 2011
- Yeddyurappa has moral responsibility to act: Soni - Jul 21, 2011
- Court rejects Yeddyurappa plea to quash corruption cases - Jan 31, 2012
- Hegde taunts Kumaraswamy over personal attack - Aug 27, 2011
- H.D. Kumaraswamy survives bigamy charge - Apr 09, 2012
- Karnataka summons to two ex-CMs, jail for ex-minister - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: bail plea, bangalore development authority, corruption, criminal conspiracy, deve gowda, former prime minister, government control, janata, karnataka chief minister, karnataka high court, mp, ombudsman, private parties, several times, sriram, state government, three acres