Kumaran joins leaders in chess tournamentMay 27th, 2012 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Pondicherry, May 27 (IANS) B Kumaran, a class 9 student of Chennai’s Sri Sankara Senior Secondary School, overcame S Jayakumar to join the leaders with 4.0 points after the fourth round of the third KACC International FIDE Rating chess tournament (Below 2200) here Sunday.
Also in contention with 4.0 points were top seed K. Gunasekaran (TN), third seed Linda Rangarajan (Pon), along with M. Chakkravarthi Reddy, M. Teja Suresh, Ramakrishna Perumalla (all AP), V. Varshini, P. Elancheralathan (both TN) and S. Suresh Krishna (Pon).
Gunasekaran put it across veteran M J Noohu. The equal rook and minor piece ending was handled deftly by Gunasekaran who nurtured a minute advantage and clinched the full point.
Second seeded Linda Rangarajan was stretched Karnataka’s Sushrutha Reddy. In an exciting rook and pawn ending that appeared to be heading for a draw, Linda exerted enough queen side pressure and went on to win the game in the fourth hour.
Important Results (Round 4): M J Noohu (TN) 3 lost to K Gunasekaran (TN) 4, Sushrutha Reddy (Kar) 3 lost to Linda Rangarajan (Pon) 4, Ramakrishna Perumalla (AP) 4 bt Magesh Babu Matapathy (TN) 3, S Mathivanan (Pon) 3.5 drew Mohan Kumar (TN) 3.5, M Siddarth (TN) 3.5 drew S Sathyanarayan (TN) 3.5, S Jayakumar (TN) 3 lost to B Kumaran (TN) 4, M Chakravarthi Reddy (AP) 4 bt E Balachandar (TN) 3, N Aadityan (TN) 3.5 drew R Vaishali (TN) 3.5, P Elancheralathan (TN) 4 bt E Balachandar (TN) 3, T Balaguru (Pon) 3 lost to M Teja Suresh (AP) 4, B Vignesh (TN) 3.5 drew Siva Mahadevan (TN) 3.5, P R Hirthickkesh (TN) 3 lost to Suresh Krishna S (Pon) 4.
- Linda pockets chess title - May 29, 2012
- Rangarajan leads field in chess meet - May 28, 2012
- Tania wins in 38 moves in National Premier chess - Nov 01, 2011
- Padmini shocks Tania to take lead in women's national chess - Nov 03, 2011
- Tania moves into sole lead in women's national chess - Nov 02, 2011
- Mhamal, Akshaya share chess lead - Apr 30, 2012
- Padmini, Tania in lead at National Chess - Nov 05, 2011
- Mary Ann pockets title in National Chess - Nov 09, 2011
- Mary Ann takes lead in national chess - Nov 07, 2011
- Elijah Emojong among leaders in chess tournament - Oct 06, 2011
- Mary Ann retains lead with a draw in National chess - Nov 08, 2011
- Schoolboy Jayavel bags chess title - Oct 10, 2011
- Easy win for Nikshep in sub-junior tennis - Aug 13, 2012
- Four share lead in National Premier chess - Oct 30, 2011
- Nagal extends Sinha in MCC-Adidas junior tennis - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: babu, chennai, chess tournament, gunasekaran, magesh, mahadevan, mohan kumar, pawn, pondicherry, ramakrishna, rangarajan, rook, s jayakumar, s suresh, siddarth, siva, sri sankara, suresh krishna, teja, vaishali